Why did Google choose to make the camera the defining feature?

Caezar07

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
I apologize for this being ranty.

Are better low-light pictures really worth the $200 more that this phone costs compared to the S9, or am I missing something? I don't mean to bash the Pixel at all. I previously owned the Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Moto X (designed while Google owned Motorola), and the Nexus 6p, and I've been terribly aching to get back onto a Google phone but Google seems to keep making dealbreaker compromises on their phones.

The first Pixel was a beta phone, and the bezels on the Pixel 2 were embarrassing. Now, with the Pixel 3, the price has been increased an absurd amount, and all you really get is better low-light pictures, and improved build quality although it can't possibly be better than the S9 with Samsung having so much experience making glass sandwich phones, and knows better than to put scratch prone frosted glass on the back of a phone.

My problem is that the S9 compared to the Pixel has:
-slightly larger battery
-higher res screen
-smaller bezels, resulting in a larger screen in the same form factor
-proven build quality in that the S9 is practically just the S8 with thicker glass and smaller bezels

How does one rationalize getting the Pixel 3 over the S9? Who is Google's target audience? I love a good picture (and so do youtube reviewers who are obviously into social media and videography...so I think their opinion is bias), but I'm not some snapchat or instagram loving amateur photographer. It just seems like they are sacrificing a whole lot, especially on the price, and all for the sake of low light pictures, call screening, and wide angle selfies.

At this point, besides a folding phone, an in-screen fingerprint reader is the only thing that would really improve phone usage for me. With lastpass, I need my fingerprint all the time, and I've always preferred a front facing fingerprint reader because I use my phone a lot while it's laying on a table. I probably won't get the 6t because I prefer smaller phones, so I will wait for the S10.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
-slightly larger battery
-higher res screen
-proven build quality in that the S9 is practically just the S8 with thicker glass and smaller bezels

• Battery size isn't that different. On top of that, the Pixel phones have demonstrated a very good record.
  • Screen doesn't look any different to the average consumer.
  • Bezels are merely a function of aesthetics and have nothing to do with function. You can buy the nicest looking phone ever made but if it is a piece of garbage, what's the point? You want a phone that works and works well, especially for your preferred needs.
  • The average consumer can't tell you what is different between most iterations of phones other than what year they were released.

Google has made it a point to sell their devices based on the factors that mean the most to average consumers: photo quality and battery life. While they don't yet have the marketing power in this arena like Apple and Samsung have, it is clear that they know what matters most and are trying to key in on it. Why focus on the build material on their ad campaign when nobody cares if it is glass, aluminum, titanium or lead? If all they care about is the picture quality and if the phone will last all day, then that is where the focus ought to be. Everything else they throw out there is for the enthusiast crowd, which doesn't make up their bread-and-butter core audience.

That is why the camera is the defining feature. It has been lauded as the best camera for a couple of versions now and there is no reason to shy away from it.

Last edited:

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Are better low-light pictures really worth the $200 more that this phone costs compared to the S9, or am I missing something? I don't mean to bash the Pixel at all. I previously owned the Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Moto X (designed while Google owned Motorola), and the Nexus 6p, and I've been terribly aching to get back onto a Google phone but Google seems to keep making dealbreaker compromises on their phones.

The first Pixel was a beta phone, and the bezels on the Pixel 2 were embarrassing. Now, with the Pixel 3, the price has been increased an absurd amount, and all you really get is better low-light pictures, and improved build quality that can't possibly be better than the S9 with Samsung having so much experience making glass sandwich phones, and knows better than to put a scratch sensitive frosted glass back on a phone.

-slightly larger battery
-higher res screen
-smaller bezels

How does one rationalize getting the Pixel 3 over the S9? Who is Google's target audience? I love a good picture (and so do youtube reviewers who are obviously into social media and videography...so I think their opinion is bias), but I'm not some snapchat or instagram loving amateur photographer. It just seems like they are sacrificing a whole lot, especially on the price, and all for the sake of low light pictures, call screening, and wide angle selfies.

At this point, besides a folding phone, an in-screen fingerprint reader is the only thing that would really improve phone usage for me. With lastpass, I need my fingerprint all the time, and I've always preferred a front facing fingerprint reader because I use my phone a lot while it's laying on a table. I probably won't get the 6t because I prefer smaller phones, so I will wait for the S10.
Are better low-light pictures really worth the $200 more that this phone costs compared to the S9? I don't mean to bash the Pixel at all. I previously owned the Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Moto X (designed while Google owned Motorola), and the Nexus 6p, and I've been terribly aching to get back onto a Google phone but Google seems to keep making dealbreaker compromises on their phones.

The first Pixel was a beta phone, and the bezels on the Pixel 2 were embarrassing. Now, with the Pixel 3, the price has been increased an absurd amount, and all you really get is better low-light pictures, and improved build quality that can't possibly be better than the S9 with Samsung having so much experience making glass sandwich phones, and knows better than to put a scratch sensitive frosted glass back on a phone.

-slightly larger battery

-higher res screen

-smaller bezels

How does one rationalize getting the Pixel 3 over the S9? Please someone convince me to get the Pixel 3. Are better low light pictures and call screening really worth $200? Who is Google's target audience? I love a good picture (and so do youtube reviewers who are obviously into social media and videography...so I think their opinion is bias), but I'm not some snapchat or instagram loving amateur photographer. It just seems like they are sacrificing a whole lot, especially on the price, and all for the sake of low light pictures, call screening, and wide angle selfies.

I personally do not ever find myself in situations needing to take low-light photos so that is not important to me.

Have you used a pixel for a reasonable amount of time? Played with the software? Use the camera? I think that would help you make your decision.

I know you think your S9 takes some great photos... And indeed it does. The rear-facing on the S9 is better than the front. The front facing camera on the S9 is horrible. Take a selfie and zoom in after you take the photo and all look at the quality and then compare that to a front-facing photo taken with the pixel. You will see the difference is night and day. It cannot be denied.

As for the rear facing cameras the pixel 2 still wins. But what separated the pixel 2 apart from every other good camera phone I have owned is the ease of getting a great quality photo. When I go hike with my girlfriend I take a lot of photographs with my phone. I go through and delete the ones that are no good. And on my trips where I was snapping photos with the pixel they were all for the most part great photographs. S9 I feel requires a little bit of preparation for a photo to be taken. Getting a photo on the fly with s9 is not as easy and consistent as it is with the pixel.

With that being said I have my pixel 3XL order looks like it should be delivered on the 19th. I already told my girlfriend if I mention new cell phone again before the next pixel comes out she is free to leave me haha. I am super excited because the biggest mistake I've made in my cell phone history was getting rid of the pixel 2 XL back in April. Thinking newer is better that did not turn out to be the case. Since then I've been through a G7, v30, iPhone 8 plus, iPhone XS MAX and S9 Plus twice currently on my second one. Just bought the second one 3 months ago and willing to lose every penny of it. Yes I go through a lot of phones but I work hard and buy the stuff that I want. So I currently have the dual aperture S9 Plus which is renowned for its low light capabilities. Therefore the low light feature of the pixel 3 does not interest me. It is strictly the quality representation of the photographs taken. Most other brands of phones put some filter on their front facing Finishing Touch of your face. Don't believe me? Go to your nearest Best Buy now while they are still open and take a front-facing photograph of yourself with decent lighting with each zoom in and you will see.

Best of luck whatever you do.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I think the short answer is value is up to the individual consumer. I'll be one of the first to say, I don't think the Pixel is for everyone. So you may actually be outside of who they are targeting. IMO, Google is marketing services as a platform and I believe the Pixel is just a part of their overall vision.

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

The first Pixel was a beta phone, and the bezels on the Pixel 2 were embarrassing. Now, with the Pixel 3, the price has been increased an absurd amount, and all you really get is better low-light pictures, and improved build quality although it can't possibly be better than the S9 with Samsung having so much experience making glass sandwich phones, and knows better than to put scratch prone frosted glass on the back of a phone.

-slightly larger battery
-higher res screen

Short answer: Updates

Sure I'm a new phone a year person but not everyone is. The Pixel line is guaranteed 3 years of updates as soon as they are released. Samsung has a sad slow history with updates or even if one is released. They make it so you almost have to buy a new phone to have the latest version. How a phone looks is not as important to me as much as how secure it is.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

-slightly larger battery
-higher res screen

If you don't care about the quality of the photographs then stick with your S9. If you do then read on.

It sounds like you've never used a pixel for any period of time because that would easily make your mind up. So I suggest you go to your nearest Best Buy as soon as possible and check out the photo quality of the pixel 2 XL compared to your S9.

it's not always about having the most beautiful and detailed photograph. It's also about the ease of use. I'm a huge believer in that the thing needs to respond when I need it to. Moments happen without notice. the phone needs to be at the ready and consistent when I call upon it. The S9 plus does not do that for me.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
  • Battery size isn't that different. On top of that, the Pixel phones have demonstrated a very good record.
  • Screen doesn't look any different to the average consumer.
  • Bezels are merely a function of aesthetics and have nothing to do with function. You can buy the nicest looking phone ever made but if it is a piece of garbage, what's the point? You want a phone that works and works well, especially for your preferred needs.
  • The average consumer can't tell you want is different between most iterations of phones other than what year they were released.

Google has made it a point to sell their devices based on the factors that mean the most to average consumers: photo quality and battery life. While they don't yet have the marketing power in this arena like Apple and Samsung have, it is clear that they know what matters most and are trying to key in on it. Why focus on the build material on their ad campaign when nobody cares if it is glass, aluminum, titanium or lead? If all they care about is the picture quality and if the phone will last all day, then that is where the focus ought to be. Everything else they throw out there is for the enthusiast crowd, which doesn't make up their bread-and-butter core audience.

That is why the camera is the defining feature. It has been lauded as the best camera for a couple of versions now and there is no reason to shy away from it.
Very well said! They know their audience and they have certainly impressed as well as continued to impress. I thought their presentation was horrible, but I know their phone is going to be amazing! I had the original pixel as well as the 2, both XL versions.

Caezar07

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Short answer: Updates

Sure I'm a new phone a year person but not everyone is. The Pixel line is guaranteed 3 years of updates as soon as they are released. Samsung has a sad slow history with updates or even if one is released. They make it so you almost have to buy a new phone to have the latest version. How a phone looks is not as important to me as much as how secure it is.

Security updates are released monthly to Samsung and most android phones I think. It's just the major OS updates that are slower to release. That said, Google has slowly been separating certain features into apps themselves so that you get updates as the Google apps update rather than having to wait for an OS update.

Caezar07

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
What did you use before the S9?

I'm still on the S8. Before the S8 I was on the S7, and before that, the Nexus 6p. I "waited" for the Pixel 2 and was disappointed and got the S8 late. I again waited for the Pixel 3 instead of getting the S9, but I'm not sure that I should have. At this point I may just wait for the S10 instead of backtracking to the S9.

I have a long history with Nexus phones. I think the OnePlus is the spiritual successor to the Nexus more than the Pixel phones. I'd get the OnePlus 6t if it wasn't so big.

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Security updates are released monthly to Samsung and most android phones I think. It's just the major OS updates that are slower to release. That said, Google has slowly been separating certain features into apps themselves so that you get updates as the Google apps update rather than having to wait for an OS update.

And what version is your phone running? I've had Pie for a while now. When will your phone get it?

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm still on the S8. Before the S8 I was on the S7, and before that, the Nexus 6p. I "waited" for the Pixel 2 and was disappointed and got the S8 late. I again waited for the Pixel 3 instead of getting the S9, but I'm not sure that I should have. At this point I may just wait for the S10 instead of backtracking to the S9.
Shoot I'm sorry man you did say that my apologies. I mean for me, in all honesty as long as they camera is at least as good as the 2XL then I will be just fine. But all of the reviewers already are saying that the three improves upon it quite a bit.

And like I said that stuff about ease-of-use, being able to snap a photo with in 2 seconds from the time you need to is pretty dang cool. The pixel just always seems to outperform on a consistent basis. By default it doesn't have any of the fancy stuff but I prefer that. There really are apps out there for just about anything that you want to do. So why not get a stripped down phone that you can add to. Bonus that it has a sweet camera that operates at lightning speed.

But again you need to do what makes you happy and if you have not gone down and use the pixel 2, do yourself a favor and at least go play around with it. Or at this point Best Buy said that they will have the 3 in store starting this week

Caezar07

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
And what version is your phone running? I've had Pie for a while now. When will your phone get it?

My S8 is on Oreo. Android Pie is apparently going to take until 1Q19 to get to the S8, but to be honest, I do not care. I use nova launcher and ever since Marshmallow, I don't think the Android updates have been very meaningful to the end user, since as I said before, Google has been moving features out of the OS and into their apps so the features can be released as apps are updated rather than having to wait for an OS update. And FWIW, Oreo gestures seem like a beta feature and definitely not a must have.

Caezar07

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Shoot I'm sorry man you did say that my apologies. I mean for me, in all honesty as long as they camera is at least as good as the 2XL then I will be just fine. But all of the reviewers already are saying that the three improves upon it quite a bit.

I will give the Pixel 3 credit that Google has been able to introduce what is truly a "next gen" smartphone camera. They're definitely making a meaningful contribution to the smartphone arena. But I think that they're just so super laser focused on the camera that they're cutting corners everywhere else. The Pixel 3 to me seems like a "smart camera" first and then smartphone.

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
My S8 is on Oreo. Android Pie is apparently going to take until 1Q19 to get to the S8, but to be honest, I do not care. I use nova launcher and ever since Marshmallow, I don't think the Android updates have been very meaningful to the end user, since as I said before, Google has been moving features out of the OS and into their apps so the features can be released as apps are updated rather than having to wait for an OS update. And FWIW, Oreo gestures seem like a beta feature and definitely not a must have.

I appreciate your opinion sir. I am really not here to argue with you. We each like what we like. Enjoy your weekend woo hoo!

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I will give the Pixel 3 credit that Google has been able to introduce what is truly a "next gen" smartphone camera. They're definitely making a meaningful contribution to the smartphone arena. But I think that they're just so super laser focused on the camera that they're cutting corners everywhere else. The Pixel 3 to me seems like a "smart camera" first and then smartphone.

I thought the Titan security chip and the spam call answering was pretty impressive too, although we probably won't be able to see the benefits of the security chip. It's a perception thing.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree their focus seems to be the cameras. that old saying goes if you're going to do one thing do it very well or something like that. For someone like myself the camera is the major appeal of the phone. I'm a very advanced Android user but I'm minimal when it comes to what I have on my phone. I also demand the phone to be consistent and snappy. In exchange I keep it clean, close some unused apps and restart at least once a day after clearing the cache.

As I said before if your focus is not the camera then go for the S10. And I mean that in the best way. The S10 most likely will have a newer processor and will definitely have more RAM than the pixel 3XL. So based on what you are saying it sounds like the S10 based on what we know would be a better fit for sure. you will regret if it comes out with double the RAM of the pixel right? Think about that for a minute. I personally won't be bothered by that because I will be totally fine with my barebones basic pixel 3XL. I also love the whole Google Experience. so that's something else to think about.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
And for whatever reason my initial reply to your post was just now approved. So it's at the top of this list. Here is what it said...

I personally do not ever find myself in situations needing to take low-light photos so that is not important to me.

Have you used a pixel for a reasonable amount of time? Played with the software? Use the camera? I think that would help you make your decision.

I know you think your S9 takes some great photos... And indeed it does. The rear-facing on the S9 is better than the front. The front facing camera on the S9 is horrible. Take a selfie and zoom in after you take the photo and all look at the quality and then compare that to a front-facing photo taken with the pixel. You will see the difference is night and day. It cannot be denied.

As for the rear facing cameras the pixel 2 still wins. But what separated the pixel 2 apart from every other good camera phone I have owned is the ease of getting a great quality photo. When I go hike with my girlfriend I take a lot of photographs with my phone. I go through and delete the ones that are no good. And on my trips where I was snapping photos with the pixel they were all for the most part great photographs. S9 I feel requires a little bit of preparation for a photo to be taken. Getting a photo on the fly with s9 is not as easy and consistent as it is with the pixel.

With that being said I have my pixel 3XL order looks like it should be delivered on the 19th. I already told my girlfriend if I mention new cell phone again before the next pixel comes out she is free to leave me haha. I am super excited because the biggest mistake I've made in my cell phone history was getting rid of the pixel 2 XL back in April. Thinking newer is better that did not turn out to be the case. Since then I've been through a G7, v30, iPhone 8 plus, iPhone XS MAX and S9 Plus twice currently on my second one. Just bought the second one 3 months ago and willing to lose every penny of it. Yes I go through a lot of phones but I work hard and buy the stuff that I want. So I currently have the dual aperture S9 Plus which is renowned for its low light capabilities. Therefore the low light feature of the pixel 3 does not interest me. It is strictly the quality representation of the photographs taken. Most other brands of phones put some filter on their front facing Finishing Touch of your face. Don't believe me? Go to your nearest Best Buy now while they are still open and take a front-facing photograph of yourself with decent lighting with each zoom in and you will see.

Best of luck whatever you do.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad