Why do ads pop-up constantly on my Samsung Galaxy S6?

A

AC Question

I will sometimes be redirected to the play store looking at some random app, but usually chrome opens up to some page along the lines of "congratulations you've won!" or "warning! your phone has a virus" etc.. This has been going on for months and I'm still not sure what triggers it. It usually happens right when I open up an app (no specific one, happens to all of them as far as I can tell) or after I've been using an app for a short amount of time, or when I'm using chrome. This is extremely annoying please help!

So far I have tried clearing the cache and data on chrome and running an addons detector, both to no avail. (no problematic apps were detected)

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, it does sound like you have some sort of virus on your device. Try removing some of the recently installed apps you have on your phone (since the issue began) see if that helps. You could also try booting your phone into safe mode. This will allow your phone to turn on and disable all 3rd party apps - that way you can see if the issue is caused by a 3rd party app.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I will sometimes be redirected to the play store looking at some random app, but usually chrome opens up to some page along the lines of "congratulations you've won!" or "warning! your phone has a virus" etc.. This has been going on for months and I'm still not sure what triggers it. It usually happens right when I open up an app (no specific one, happens to all of them as far as I can tell) or after I've been using an app for a short amount of time, or when I'm using chrome. This is extremely annoying please help!

So far I have tried clearing the cache and data on chrome and running an addons detector, both to no avail. (no problematic apps were detected)

In chrome, go to settings from the menuScreenshot_2015-12-04-12-47-28.jpg
Then scroll down to "site settings" Screenshot_2015-12-04-12-47-49.jpg
From next screen make sure popups are blockedScreenshot_2015-12-04-12-48-12.jpg
Close chrome. That should get rid of the popups. Cheetah Mobile apps may still be able to bypass