Why do I get traffic reports on my phone but not my tablet when I boot up?

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
When I turn on my Samsung phone I get a banner across the screen about traffic in my area. But when I use my Trio tablet that has the same Google apps as the phone I get no message. I don't see anything obvious in the Google options that needs ticked ON to make it behave like the phone. I have no idea what app is giving me the traffic warning, the tablet runs Jellybean if that's any help. Using the phone if I click on the map that shows the congestion, it opens to Google maps of course.
Seems to me there was an offer by Google to let the phone/Google do more for me and I did accept that. Doesn't seem like I got the same offer on the tablet......I don't know how to make it ask me! :D

What am I doing wrong?

Regards and Merry Christmas to all!

25544 Norad

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
They're coming from Maps, and you have to enable it per device (and that will also depend on the device's location settings and, of course, the device's reported location). You can turn those on and off in the Maps settings (Notifications).

Might also come from Google (Search app) as long as you opt-in into Google Now. This is also per-device on the Google App.

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
On the tablet, I have everything I know enabled but I still don't get the same traffic alert banner on the screen as I do on the phone.

That said, if I open the Google search app and click the microphone icon and ask it " Show traffic for my area" all I get is a blank screen and a voice description of the traffic. It also says it's 'sending information' to my Gmail account! When I go there, there's no information of course.
To see the actual traffic flow I have to click on MAPS, then I see where the tie ups are.

Do I need to reinstall the app?
At one point a few days ago the tablet showed me a whole page of graphics and asked me if I wanted to allow " Google to do more" or words to that effect. Unfortunately I chose " Remind me later" wish I had taken advantage of it when asked <sigh> I have no way to make it display that message or I would do it!

The next traffic warning I get on the phone I will take a screenshot and post it, a picture is worth a thousand words...

I am beginning to think that the alert may be due to the carrier, Metro PCS. A friend said that's the only one he ever saw that does it. I know that tapping the app will open Google maps that show the traffic congestion in red.

Thanks

Last edited:

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Found answer of sorts

See my post below THIS ONE and the attachment...((I wanted to delete this post but couldn't figure out how to do it!))

Last edited:

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Here is the answer, I accidentally found an app called TRAFFIC on the phone, when I tap it it opens Google Maps and gives me traffic info.

Odd thing is this app, or maybe it's a shortcut doesn't show in my downloaded apps under defaults or app manager. How it got on the phone I have NO idea. My wife has the identical phone and hers doesn't have this.

If I knew where it came from I'd add it to my tablet and the discussion would be over!

Sorry to rag on about this :-! I'd just like to know! The app, if it is one, is NOT in the Play Store that I can find.

Happy New Year!

IMG_1221.JPG

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Turns out it was added in a Google Maps update v9.39 and is found under Widgets, at least that's where it was on my tablet!
No replies needed thank you!

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
You were correct, it was added in a Google Maps update v9.39 and beyond! Look under Widgets, that's where I found it on my tablet. This is one update that works well, unlike the notification chime deletion for Google Voice Search.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wadeharper