Why do I have to call a Phone # to check my phone messages ?

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
So often people will leave me voice messages due to the fact I didn't answer the phone, all normal here. Okay so on my old Galaxy S9 the messages were on my phone I was listening to them from my phone without the need to call a phone number. Well that's not happening with my new phone the Pixel 4A I have to call a phone number to get to listen to my messages and delete them as needed. The service if you want to call it that works fine, it's been like that since I got the phone but I wish it was like Galaxy where I didn't have to call number.

On a side note when I go to the voicemail section in the phone app it says "can't update visual voicemail" not sure if that has anything to do with my problem, even when I click the try again nothing happens.

By the way I'm using the latest android OS update and I'm using the stock phone app also which the voicemail is par of that.

Anybody who has the same phone and using the stock phone app do you also have to call a number to get to listen to your messages ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Open your Phone app, tap Menu>Settings>Voicemail. What does it say under Service? (Mine says "Your Carrier.")

Also, in that menu, tap Setup. What's shown as the Voicemail Number?

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Did your message, "can't update visual voicemail" also note cannot connect to service or something to that effect?

I have used Visual voicemail for years and never had a problem. Updating to Android 12 and bingo, I "was" getting the same message you were getting when going to Visual voicemail. Calling my provider (tracfone) was like asking my neighbor's kid the explain Title 18 USC; in other words a waste of time. However, I will also note, that after doing the steps B.Diddy suggested, I noted I did not have LTE coverage when out of WIFI coverage area or visual voicemail. However, his suggestion is a great place to start

So, start with what B. Diddy suggested; however, also go into entire phone settings (GEAR) and search for mobile data and make sure it is setup for your provider. Mine wasn't but could not change it. Now, I started looking for other service providers.

However, another thing I was noting was I did not have any mobile data...PERIOD. No LTE signal when out of WIFI range (now, I have only a few places in and around my house where I can get LTE due to me being a hermit and living in the middle of nowhere, somewhere in Idaho), so a lot of times I pay no attention. I really noticed this problem when I went to visit some friends in Pocatello and noted I had NO LTE coverage at their location when trying to access the intenet at a meeting. After confirming their employer was NOT blocking LTE signals into their location (something they will do at times and have the capability to do), I then figured something was wrong. So on the trip home, I started to think of why this was happening. My first thought was my SIM card is screwed up; however, I decided just to verify all SIM card info was loaded.
So what I ended up doing that fixed the problem was:

1. Turned the phone off
  2. Removed SIM card
  3. Turned phone back on (it will state no SIM card)
  4. Turn phone back off
  5. Insert SIM card
  6. Turn phone back On and check mobile date. All that info was reset to show tracfone where required and Visual voicemail works.

Not only does Visual voicemail now work, I was also receiving the LTE notification when outside of the wifi coverage area and I was able to search the internet with no WIFI.

Why this problem appeared is something to do with the android 12 update or the fact, for the first time in my long old life of owning Android phones (started with a Droid running Android 2) I never did a clean install of a OS update. This time I did, doing a factory reset just after 12 was up and running. Then the problems started. So, naturally, I did another factory reset. Both of those resets were followed by a RESTORE of apps, sms, etc.

So, since the problems were still on the phone; I did a third (and for sure final) reset but this time I did not do a restore every thing was loaded fresh from my laptop (pictures if needed, songs, etc), and all apps were loaded one at a time fresh from the playstore. NO LUCK, still bad.

The SIM card removal/install was just a hail Mary, but it worked for the visual voicemail and LTE Signal. I thinkng the resets and android 12 loading did some erasing of the SIM info and the physical reinstall added those needed settings back where they belonged. I GUESS; I don't know, other than it now works. I would have thought all that info would just reload after a factory reset, but it appears (from my experience) the removal/install of the SIM card caused the phone to register this info into mobile data.

I will also say the Nov update appears to have fixed a few of my bugs with some of my apps such as Calls Blacklist that kept crashing after phone calls. So far so good.

And I will NEVER do another factory reset for an OS update. Don't care what others say; it just won't happen.

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Open your Phone app, tap Menu>Settings>Voicemail. What does it say under Service? (Mine says "Your Carrier.")

Also, in that menu, tap Setup. What's shown as the Voicemail Number?

It says "your carrier" also.

The voice mail number is a number from California area code 805 when I call it, it picks up right away I never hear a ring.

My carrier by the way is Mint mobile.

Also by the way I'm using E-sim.

Also by the way my wife who still has her Galaxy 9 who also switched to Mint Mobile with me is still using the same method to check her messages. She does not have to call a number like me. She got a physical SIM card when she switched though.

Thanks

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Can't help with a number for Mint mobile, but what is the number your wife's phone calls?

Can you get a physical SIM card from Mint to replace the eSIM program?

This link explains something about their voicemail setup but only APPLE is noted for visual voicemail. It does show a 805 number.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ow-do-i-set-up-my-voicemail%2F&token=vc8ewBV-

Might be time to see how great their support is online.

Good luck; I sure know I prefer visual voicemail to calling and punching in a password.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Much of it depends on your carrier, and if it's a MVNO, the actual carrier towers it runs on. I had Spectrum Mobile (VZ towers) on my Pixel 5. No VVM. Switched to Mint Mobile (TMo) and VVM appeared as an option in my Phone settings. Works like a charm, likely because TMo VVM (used them directly before) is natively supported by the Google dialer app. There are also 3rd party solutions that work by having you conditionally forward your unanswered calls to their servers.

Note that I'm also referring to transcribed voice mails. VVM does not necessarily imply transcription. It can merely be a list of calls that went to VM, so you can pick and choose what you want to hear, rather than call into the VM number and have to go through the whole list.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It says "your carrier" also.

The voice mail number is a number from California area code 805 when I call it, it picks up right away I never hear a ring.

My carrier by the way is Mint mobile.

Also by the way I'm using E-sim.

Also by the way my wife who still has her Galaxy 9 who also switched to Mint Mobile with me is still using the same method to check her messages. She does not have to call a number like me. She got a physical SIM card when she switched though.

Thanks

Is it 805-637-7456? https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...Cdial%2520805%252D637%252D7456&token=AWGWlQZu.

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Can't help with a number for Mint mobile, but what is the number your wife's phone calls?

Can you get a physical SIM card from Mint to replace the eSIM program?

This link explains something about their voicemail setup but only APPLE is noted for visual voicemail. It does show a 805 number.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ow-do-i-set-up-my-voicemail%2F&token=FaPzdSTz

Might be time to see how great their support is online.

Good luck; I sure know I prefer visual voicemail to calling and punching in a password.

I guess you didn't read my last post. Wife does not need to call a phone number and no I'm not getting physical Sim card there no guarantee that would fix anything other cause a hassle changing it out, especially since e-sim is the future. Also there's no password to put in, so it's not that bad. But still prefer it was before.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Ahh yes. That was always a "speed dial" shortcut to VM on the old phones. The current google dialer has the VM icon below the 1, so that should work.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Long-pressing 1 is a shortcut for dialing your voicemail (by essentially speed-dialing the voicemail number). That's how voicemail works for certain carriers -- you call the main voicemail number to access your voicemail. On other carriers, it's actually your own number you have to call to reach your voicemail.

In either case, long-pressing 1 is still supposed to connect you to your voicemail without you having to dial that number.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I guess you didn't read my last post. Wife does not need to call a phone number and no I'm not getting physical Sim card there no guarantee that would fix anything other cause a hassle changing it out, especially since e-sim is the future. Also there's no password to put in, so it's not that bad. But still prefer it was before.

WELL I DID READ YOUR LAST POST! DID YOU READ BOTH OF MINE?

I spent too much damn time trying to be nice in helping you with a problem when you are thousands of miles away, and so have others, only to be replied to with unfriendly replies demanding answer such as, "how is that supposed to help, if I may ask."

Since the phone is not in my hands and I'm relying on what you are saying, only suggestions of what can be tried to fix the problem can be offered. No one on this forum HAS to reply and NOT ONE ANSWER IS REQUIRED to solve YOUR problem.

It appears you are quite capable of handling this problem all by your little lonesome self!

But one one note, just because something is the future does NOT mean it works like it should!

Good luck; I'm out of this thread for good. It's 4AM, don't need this crap.

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
WELL I DID READ YOUR LAST POST! DID YOU READ BOTH OF MINE?

I spent too much damn time trying to be nice in helping you with a problem when you are thousands of miles away, and so have others, only to be replied to with unfriendly replies demanding answer such as, "how is that supposed to help, if I may ask."

Since the phone is not in my hands and I'm relying on what you are saying, only suggestions of what can be tried to fix the problem can be offered. No one on this forum HAS to reply and NOT ONE ANSWER IS REQUIRED to solve YOUR problem.

It appears you are quite capable of handling this problem all by your little lonesome self!

But one one note, just because something is the future does NOT mean it works like it should!

Good luck; I'm out of this thread for good. It's 4AM, don't need this crap.

"how is that supposed to help, if I may ask." You can't quote this it was never directed towards you.

It's rude when the answer to a question was already answered but not read in the first place. Anyway it's all good

Scott111

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Long-pressing 1 is a shortcut for dialing your voicemail (by essentially speed-dialing the voicemail number). That's how voicemail works for certain carriers -- you call the main voicemail number to access your voicemail. On other carriers, it's actually your own number you have to call to reach your voicemail.

In either case, long-pressing 1 is still supposed to connect you to your voicemail without you having to dial that number.

Okay thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201