Why do my system app have 2008 as there install date?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I had to reinstall stock firmware via ODIN using official firmware. My phone is not rooted, everything runs okay but certain things are acting out of character. Anyway I installed a file explorer app and when I came to the system apps they are dated December 2008? The iPhone 3s came out that year so how is this possible on a s8? Have I been compromised? Thanks

Praktikal

May 20, 2020
Visit site
Thank you I have signed up! So when I open up Malwarebytes and scroll through the system apps, all of them are dated 31st December 2008 🤔 Some have updated, whereas the majority just say.. install date 31st Dec 2008...just cant get my head around it. I have taken a screenshot I will attach it to the post if I can. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200519-170407_Malwarebytes.jpg
    Screenshot_20200519-170407_Malwarebytes.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 7

Praktikal

May 20, 2020
Visit site
Hi also thanks for the help. No it's not a picture I transferred.. I flashed my s8 with an official stock ROM of the latest update available for the s8. I have no root access at all and everything says its official. I'm starting to wonder whether I have been compromised, when installing the required samsung and google apps etc as a new phone would, there is a 3rd SmartThings app that trys to download in the background with no prompt, not from the galaxy store and now it has managed to install itself ( which I wasnt aware of until this evening after further investigation), you cannot do anything with it. Its greyed out, cant stop any of its actions... it says that it is disabled, yet its using battery constantly, mobile data (I dont even have a sim in this phone) and running com.sec.epdg.... The folder for the app in question is titled com.samsung.android.ststub.. cannot find this exact file name online anywhere so I really dont know what to think. Thank you

Praktikal

May 20, 2020
Visit site
Sorry didn't upload the images

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200520-044159_Cx File Explorer.jpg
    Screenshot_20200520-044159_Cx File Explorer.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20200520-044235_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20200520-044235_Settings.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20200520-044406_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20200520-044406_Settings.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 6

Praktikal

May 20, 2020
Visit site
Thanks again for the quick response. Why would they show up as installed in that date? Could it be possible that it is supposed 2018 but somehow dated wrong? If so how is that even possible? I will attach a photo and this is what all the system apps say... but there is a few that say installed in 2008 but also have a recent update... its baffling me and I thought Malwarebytes was the go to. If they cant get a date right, should I really be letting them keep my phone safe? 🤔😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200520-051603_Malwarebytes.jpg
    Screenshot_20200520-051603_Malwarebytes.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 5

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks again for the quick response. Why would they show up as installed in that date? Could it be possible that it is supposed 2018 but somehow dated wrong? If so how is that even possible? I will attach a photo and this is what all the system apps say... but there is a few that say installed in 2008 but also have a recent update... its baffling me and I thought Malwarebytes was the go to. If they cant get a date right, should I really be letting them keep my phone safe?
I'm not sure , you could try clearing data, cache force stop the app and see if anything changes , as it resets everything doing that. But all my Samsung , even all my other Android i never installed any malewarebytes app or cleaners , just no need to on today's Androids they pretty much safe with what's already installed.

Praktikal

May 20, 2020
Visit site
Ive reset numerous times...I was in the same mindset as yourself, I had an s8 when they first come out and had it for 3 years and loved it! I upgraded to the s10, didn't insure it and destroyed it with one drop. so I ended up getting an s8 from my brothers boss who smashed all the back but the front is untouched...I am now using that phone and the reason I wanted to flash the stock ROM is because It is believed his partner may have tried to use a spyware app of sort to keep tabs on him... I didn't trust just a partition wipe and factory reset so opted for a fresh install. Now, ever since looking into the possibility of spy apps etc, I've come across numerous examples of an S8 being remotely infiltrated without any sign or notification to the user that this is happening... of course that is only possible if you have access to the device itself to installed the malicious software... so, if that is the case with the phone I'm using, is it possible that it could permanently of embedded itself to the system? Certain actions and apps act out of character from time to time, this is what raises my concerns as I had one for a couple of years and never had any problems at all... something just doesnt feel right.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ive reset numerous times...I was in the same mindset as yourself, I had an s8 when they first come out and had it for 3 years and loved it! I upgraded to the s10, didn't insure it and destroyed it with one drop. so I ended up getting an s8 from my brothers boss who smashed all the back but the front is untouched...I am now using that phone and the reason I wanted to flash the stock ROM is because It is believed his partner may have tried to use a spyware app of sort to keep tabs on him... I didn't trust just a partition wipe and factory reset so opted for a fresh install. Now, ever since looking into the possibility of spy apps etc, I've come across numerous examples of an S8 being remotely infiltrated without any sign or notification to the user that this is happening... of course that is only possible if you have access to the device itself to installed the malicious software... so, if that is the case with the phone I'm using, is it possible that it could permanently of embedded itself to the system? Certain actions and apps act out of character from time to time, this is what raises my concerns as I had one for a couple of years and never had any problems at all... something just doesnt feel right.
Not if you flashed the firmware you should be ok .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm sorry I missed the answer, I have a Moto G Stylus 5 and most of my system apps. are dated December 2008. Oh, and my phone definitely infiltrated through or by back door as near as I can guess. But definitely infiltrated. Any assistance please.
Hi, welcome to AC!
Have you gone over this thread ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry I missed the answer, I have a Moto G Stylus 5 and most of my system apps. are dated December 2008. Oh, and my phone definitely infiltrated through or by back door as near as I can guess. But definitely infiltrated. Any assistance please.

Welcome to Android Central! What makes you certain that you've been infiltrated?

The OP of this thread was referring to a Galaxy S8 that they flashed a ROM on. You have a different phone, and I'm guessing you haven't flashed a different ROM on it, so the situation is clearly different. It would help if you gave more details about your specific situation.

In the meantime, review these:

“I’ve been hacked” - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
[GUIDE] How To Avoid Malware - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What makes you certain that you've been infiltrated?

The OP of this thread was referring to a Galaxy S8 that they flashed a ROM on. You have a different phone, and I'm guessing you haven't flashed a different ROM on it, so the situation is clearly different. It would help if you gave more details about your specific situation.

In the meantime, review these:

“I’ve been hacked” - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
[GUIDE] How To Avoid Malware - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
I seen some flaws in the malewarebytes app with OP , wonder if Desonja has the same app .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10