Why does G4's screen look so dull and washed out compared next to a Samsung Galaxy S5 and S6?

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Why does G4's screen look so dull and washed out compared next to a Samsung Galaxy S5 and S6?

I finally had a chance to play with all 3 phones side-by-side this morning. I viewed a lot of identical photos on all three phones and the G4 looked not as bright and colorful as the S5 and S6.

Is it because the G4's screen is bigger? Or is it because the Samsung phones have AMOLED screens?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The G4 screen shows "True" colors whereas AMOLED Screens are more vivid / blow out colors.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
S6 has a Super Amoled display which is generally brighter and more vivid. G4 has an IPS display which is generally not as bright but with truer to life colors.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
The s6 also has a smaller screen with the sane resolutiin, so the s6 has a higher PPI. Which makes a small difference

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
While the colors on an AMOLED screen are more vivid and blacks deeper, I don't think the screen on the G4 is that bad. Crank up the brightness and it's very vivid, but yes, the brighter you go, LCDs tend to 'whiten out' dark colors, which might give the impression of being washed out. But it's still a very pretty screen to look at.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm Amused thanks for this one yeh its a matter of perspective.

Washed out can imply to the novice reader that its a terrible display and for those reading oh how it is not.

Its Fantastic as is the G3 before it and the S6 and M9 even.

We have varying technologies used and preference is upto the beholder.

Amoled over saturated

Or the more toned down but realistic LCD

But for me personally the standard in all flagships are great.

Which one takes your eye is upto you :p

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
By default the s6 was set to have an eye popping display. You can change the display mode to be very accurate

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

TENYKS

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
While the colors on an AMOLED screen are more vivid and blacks deeper, I don't think the screen on the G4 is that bad. Crank up the brightness and it's very vivid, but yes, the brighter you go, LCDs tend to 'whiten out' dark colors, which might give the impression of being washed out. But it's still a very pretty screen to look at.

which is why I said when compared side-by-side.... when viewed by itself, I think the G4's screen looks great!

however, I think my eyes have been assimilated by Samsung. Here's a list of my last few phones. Yes, all 8 are Samsung. and obviously all have AMOLED screens: Fascinate, Droid Charge, S3, Galaxy Nexus, Note II, S4, Note III, S5.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Just got my G4. I have a Galaxy S6 and comparing the two screens, I'm liking the G4's screen more. The S6's screen is too oversaturated. When I bring up the same photo on both phones, the S6 blows out colours whereas the G4 has a more natural look.

I'm liking the G4 screen more.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Just got my G4. I have a Galaxy S6 and comparing the two screens, I'm liking the G4's screen more. The S6's screen is too oversaturated. When I bring up the same photo on both phones, the S6 blows out colours whereas the G4 has a more natural look.

I'm liking the G4 screen more.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

The hero has spoken!

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The hero has spoken!

lol

Not saying my opinion is correct or that everyone has to agree with me. On the contrary, it's better if people have diverse opinions on a subject.

But for me personally, just off first impressions of the G4's screen, I think it's my favourite screen I've used. I have griped about the S6 screen being too oversaturated (for me) and the G4 is toned down just a notch, exactly what I was after.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards