Why does my ASUS Zenfone Max M1 alarm inconsistently not ring?

Asusandroidguy

Nov 9, 2018
Visit site
I am using an ASUS Zenfone Max Plus M1.

The Operating system is Android Nougat 7.0. ( No idea why they can't be bothered to upgrade users to Oreo 8.0).

My problem is with the alarm clock. I normally use the default ASUS alarm clock but have also tried other alarm clocks from the Play Store, and they have the same problem sometimes.

The problem is that SOMETIMES (maybe around 50% of the time if I had to guess) the alarm clock will ring late.

For example if I set it for 7AM, it will ring 7.01AM or 7.03AM. For those who have not experienced this, you may think why don't I just set my alarm 3 minutes earlier? The simple answer is that it will probably also ring late.

I have seen from searching on Google that others have similar problems, but none of the suggestions solve my problem.

Here is a list of what I have ALREADY TRIED with no discernible effect:

- Changed time and time zone from automatic to manual
- Deleted that particular alarm from my alarm clock
- Cleared cache / data from Alarm app
- Downloaded alternative alarm clocks from Play Store
- Restarted my phone
- Updated firmware (my ASUS Zenfone Max Plus M1 is unable to update from 7.0 Nougat to 8.0 Oreo)
- Turned off battery optimisation settings
- Made sure do not disturb setting allows alarms.

etc etc.

One perhaps important observation: once I woke up naturally around the time of my alarm.

It was about a minute after. I unlocked the screen to turn the screen on and BOOM the alarm rang.

I would say the issue is when my screen is off but phone is on in do not disturb mode (as I sleep), the alarm does not work.

However I am sceptical as sometimes the alarm rings fine, other times 1 minute, 3 minutes, 4 minutes late.

Can anyone associate with my problems and offer any suggestions?

PS. My last phone was a Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017 edition) where the alarm was perfect. I was forced to stop using the Samsung Galaxy A5 after a few months due to a randomly unresponsive touchscreen unfortunately.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the Zenfone forum (intended for the original Zenfone) to the Zenfone Max forum.

Which battery optimization setting did you turn off? Are there any other power saving modes in the system settings, or do you have any 3rd party battery-saver or "phone cleaner" apps installed? Does this also happen in Safe Mode? https://www.hardreset.info/devices/asus/asus-zenfone-max-m1-s430/safe-mode/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy