Why does sound come from my earpiece instead of my speaker?

itfromsg

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Sound comes from earpiece instead of speaker

Hi There!

This is my first post in this site and it seems to be the only option I had since having my phone brought in to Samsung Service Center recently.

Problem: I have had my phone since December 2014 and initially had no problems with it but when it was time for me to meddle with the phone after more than a week I found out my rear camera does not focus and will only work in Macro mode. Sent the phone to SSC and they had the rear camera replaced and phone works fine.

I have been using the phone for 2 months then i suddenly noticed the reason I do not hear my alarm in the morning, the sound is coming out of the earpiece and it is too soft I can barely hear it. I tried restarting and testing the alarm and it worked fine again. I didn't notice yet the problem was not only with the alarm not until after I made a call from Facebook Messenger with earphones in. After the call, i played youtube with my earphones and it sounds fine but when I try to remove my earphone to hear it from the speakers it seems very soft. I up the volume but it is already maxed out. I then try to get the phone closer to my ear and found out that there is no sound on the speaker, i tried to find out where the sound is coming from and it was from the earpiece. No wonder it is very soft! I restarted my phone and sound seems fine again. I notice it happening only after a facebook messenger call(which i have daily) with earphones. Without the earphones on FB messenger, it does not happen. Just got the phone from SSC this Saturday and it still is the same problem. They said they changed the earpiece already and updated the software i even had my earphone replaced since it is still under 6month warranty.

I haven't found anyone else having this problem on the same device. I did found a forum saying there is a mod to change the earpiece as a secondary speaker on Note Edge but this is only for rooted phones. I haven't rooted my phone since I have been having problems with it and it will waste the 1 year warranty. Hope anyone out there can help. Thanks.

Model: SM-N915G
Android version: 4.4.4
BB version: N915GXXU1ANK4
Kernel: 3.10.0-3191453 dpi@SWDD6322#1
Build: KTU84P.N915GXXU1ANK4

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sound comes from earpiece instead of speaker

Since the phone is still under warranty, I would be persistent with Samsung and tell them that they haven't fixed the problem (that they might have caused in the first place!). Insist that they take the phone back and fix it, or replace the whole phone. Remind them that due to these problems, you've been without a primary phone for quite some time now, and remind them that this will be the 3rd time you had to send the phone in. This might prompt them to give up and send you a complete replacement.

mohamed216

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

I have the same problem and every time i take my phone to the repaire center but the same problem appaire again and again first btw i have galaxy note 4 and i really hate my phone because of this problem even it s been very short time since i bought it

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! If the same problem keeps occurring, contact Samsung and insist on a full replacement. Let them know how many times they've attempted to fix it, and how much time you've been without a working phone because of it.

itfromsg

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

Since the phone is still under warranty, I would be persistent with Samsung and tell them that they haven't fixed the problem (that they might have caused in the first place!). Insist that they take the phone back and fix it, or replace the whole phone. Remind them that due to these problems, you've been without a primary phone for quite some time now, and remind them that this will be the 3rd time you had to send the phone in. This might prompt them to give up and send you a complete replacement.

Thanks B. Diddy. I have been busy. I am quite hesitant to try with Samsung again and I have a friend from SSC who told me that they do not replace phones only repair service. Hoping someone would know how this can be fixed or just a compatibility with FB Messgenger.

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

This happened to me on my note 4. I las soon as I noticed it I took it it too switch it out for a new phone. This phone starred to do it as well. I took it to an att repair center and they gave me a new one which works perfectly. Call your local carrier and see if they have a repair center nearby

Posted via the Android Central App

Scorpion_Ibm

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

Listen buddy. This is a bug with the FB Messenger app. You can solve it by doing a force stop for the messenger app after each call :/
That's the only solution I found

Vicemilan

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site

Listen buddy. This is a bug with the FB Messenger app. You can solve it by doing a force stop for the messenger app after each call :/
That's the only solution I found

Omg, finally someone who knows whats the problem! Thank you good sir! I always see bunch of people saying gets a replacement phone, but I noticed all my friends with Samsung and LG and even my Nexus 4 had this problem so I knew it was something software related. Thanks for solving this!

Bradley Murray

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
Omg, finally someone who knows whats the problem! Thank you good sir! I always see bunch of people saying gets a replacement phone, but I noticed all my friends with Samsung and LG and even my Nexus 4 had this problem so I knew it was something software related. Thanks for solving this!

Very helpful! Solved the problem straight away!