Why Doesn't My New Cell Phone Display Internal Shared Storage

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I was sent a replacement phone from my carrier. The replacement is the same UMX Android phone as the old one. My old phone had hundreds of Contacts and dozens of Music Albums.

After I connected the new phone to my computer, I went into Google and synced everything. I then had all my contacts on the new phone. But none of the music.

When I plug my old phone into my laptop with a USB cable I get a new folder pop up on the laptop - labeled U683CL. Inside that folder is another folder labeled Internal Shared Storage. Under that folder were many other folders, one called Music Phone. If I drag a music folder from my laptop to that folder it will be accessible on my cell phone music player (Audify).

When I plug my new phone into the laptop it brings up another USB folder - this time called U693CL. File explorer tells me that the folder is empty - There is no Internal Shared Storage folder listed.

So I have no method of getting music from the PC to the Android phone. I've tried dragging music folders into the U693CL folder but it's not permitted. I'm sure it has something to do with the missing Internal Shared Storage folder, but I don't know how to make it appear in File Explorer on the PC.

Any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you connect via USB, swipe down the notification panel and tap the USB icon. Make sure MTP (or File Transfer) is selected. Now see if Windows File Explorer shows the contents of your phone's internal storage folders.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

boweasel

Mar 2, 2020
Visit site
Damn! Although your suggestion didn't agree with my phone's configuration, it did make me poke around some more. I went into Settings, then Connected Devices, then I selected USB. There was a heading Use USB for with a bunch of radio buttons. The button already selected was No data transfer. I selected File Transfer, which made Internal Shared Storage pop up in File Explorer on the laptop. I clicked on that folder on the laptop, then copied some music folders into a subfolder of Internal Shared Storage labeled Music. Those folders are now available on my cell phone.

Thank you. And I posted this question without first logging in. I assumed I wouldn't be allowed to post until I had logged in. That didn't happen. But after my topic appeared, I did log in. Hopefully this reply won't be attributed to n/a.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali