Why I cannot download games >1GB from Google store using WiFi

AZusuall

Jan 29, 2023
Visit site
Hi,

Im currently using Samsung a53, but I have notice this on my wifes a52 as well.
My problem is that using Wi-Fi I cannot download any game/app that is bigger than 1GB.
Its either stuck after getting to 1gb of downloaded data ie Chronicles of Infinity - stuck at 97% (1gb downloaded), or its in never ending Pending status or its stuck on any other download percentage - which I see fixed depend on the game. For example Eternal Evolution is stuck after 13.32MB is downloaded (1%) and its not moving at all. After some time I got information that download failed, please try again etc.

As a comparison I can say that I fail at downloading Asphalt using WiFi through Google Play store, yet from Galaxy Store I have no problems with downloading it. Wifi signal is more than ok, no issues on that field whatsoever.
Data storage Samsung free in 87%. I tried to clear data and cache from all 3 - Google play, google services, download manager. I restarted phone multiple times.
I would like to avoid resetting to factory defaults - thats why I made the check on wife phone, which gave me the same result. Therefore I dont know if there is any setting that is blocking google play from working with big apps, or there is different problem. Android is up to date, everything is up to date
A53 is 2 weeks old - no hardware issues expected.

I googled the problem, found some people with similar problems, yet none of the resolutions presented to them worked for me.

I tried to fully Register, yet I was not able to choose A53 as my phone.

Thank you for any help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Have you tried it on different wi-fi networks as well?

Also, make sure your Play Store app is up to date (in the Play Store settings), and make sure you don't have any Google Play system updates available (in Settings>Biometrics & Security).

The list of phones that you can select in the Mobile Nations Passport profile hasn't been updated in a long time. You can scroll all the way down and choose Other, and then type in your phone there.

AZusuall

Jan 29, 2023
Visit site
Hello, Thank you for the answer.

Yes, I tried one more WiFi - same result. What wonders me is why it works on galaxy store, for the same game, why it works in game, on YT or while browsing the web. Cant be WiFi issue per say.

Everythign is up to date, on both pages that you provided. Did even check version with most up to date apk - all is correct.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That does seem odd. You're not using a VPN, right? Or have a firewall set up on your router?

No 3rd party download manager or download booster apps installed?

In the meantime, send feedback to Google via the Play Store's settings menu.

AZusuall

Jan 29, 2023
Visit site
No VPN at all, nothing changed on my router for ages. It is working fine on my Huawei P30Pro - just checked. So again that crosses out WiFi problem.
No 3rd party download manager or any booster app installed on Samsung.

Will send the feedback to Google - most likely they will respond as per usual (meaning do all the stuff I did already, and/or reset to factory).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Google typically doesn't respond to feedback sent from within the settings menu -- it's not intended to start a chat with support, but rather to alert the teams there that there's an issue. It may seem like they ignore it since you don't get a response, but I've seen issues fixed some time after I sent feedback. Was it due to my feedback specifically? Probably not, but every little bit of information helps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Cool, if they can't fix it with suggestions in chat, at least they'll have the issue on record and hopefully escalate it.

AZusuall

Jan 29, 2023
Visit site
They said do FDR, contact device manufacturer. If problem will persist after FDR contact us again.

Damn, I was hoping to avoid FDR

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Has this been going on ever since you got the phone, or did it just start today? If it's very recent, I'd wait a few days and try again, rather than doing a reset right now. There have been times that the Play Store is a little wonky with certain downloads, and then it seems to fix itself the next day.

Another thing to try would be to clear the cache partition in the Recovery Menu: https://www.hardreset.info/devices/samsung/samsung-galaxy-a53-5g/recovery-mode/

AZusuall

Jan 29, 2023
Visit site
Honestly I noticed that yesterday - still I was not downloading any game on that phone previously. Some normal updated were a little bit clunky - so I started to wonder, I tried to get a game and boom, that didnt work as well.

I can see that even during download the arrow that is indicating downloading on the top of your file is dissapearing, appearing.. looks strange.

Ill give it a few days like you say, and worst case scenario will do the reset next weekend. Maybe there will be any patch to Android or my phone in general.

Thank you for your time and help. I know that people are writing that all the time, but I WILL leave a feedback if things will go back to normal after that week :)

Cheers

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Honestly I noticed that yesterday - still I was not downloading any game on that phone previously. Some normal updated were a little bit clunky - so I started to wonder, I tried to get a game and boom, that didnt work as well.

I can see that even during download the arrow that is indicating downloading on the top of your file is dissapearing, appearing.. looks strange.

Ill give it a few days like you say, and worst case scenario will do the reset next weekend. Maybe there will be any patch to Android or my phone in general.

Thank you for your time and help. I know that people are writing that all the time, but I WILL leave a feedback if things will go back to normal after that week :)

Cheers
Try clearing data then force stop play store

Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Another thing to try uninstall the update to play store , long press play store>tap into>upper right corner tap 3 dot's and uninstall the update and test if u can download

AZusuall

Jan 29, 2023
Visit site
They didn't force stop

You can force stop them, and this is what I did. Literally I pressed every button I could on those 3.

Uninstalling the latest update I did as well. NOne worked.

I did Factory reset - it didnt help ;/

I have problem with even small files to be uploaded via WiFi and Google play store (such as any update at the beginning - clock etc.)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You can force stop them, and this is what I did. Literally I pressed every button I could on those 3.

Uninstalling the latest update I did as well. NOne worked.

I did Factory reset - it didnt help ;/

I have problem with even small files to be uploaded via WiFi and Google play store (such as any update at the beginning - clock etc.)
You use any app cleaners, antivirus, Malwarebytes apps?

AZusuall

Jan 29, 2023
Visit site
No sir, this is straight from the box setup. Even after factory reset I was not installing anything. It was "choking" on standard updates.
Unless there is something built into samsung that Im not aware of - since this is my first Samsung since a long long time.
Again like I said, no problems on P30 Pro, so it needs to be in the phone or settings, or combination of both.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No sir, this is straight from the box setup. Even after factory reset I was not installing anything. It was "choking" on standard updates.
Unless there is something built into samsung that Im not aware of - since this is my first Samsung since a long long time.
Again like I said, no problems on P30 Pro, so it needs to be in the phone or settings, or combination of both.
And mobile data is no problem?
Happens with your and your wife's phone on WiFi?

AZusuall

Jan 29, 2023
Visit site
Exactly like so. Mobile data is downloading everything. WiFi is struggling on Google Play but is having no problems for Galaxy Store (so I can download Asphalt 9 from Galaxy, but not Google Play using the same connection).

Both phones affected - yes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac