Why is my Android 10 Pixel 3XL unable to install current security update?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Pixel 3 XL that upgraded to Android 10 a few months ago, and several security updates have been successful since then as well. However the one that came out in November won't install. I go through a "Preparing system update" screen for a time, then it starts up the "Installing Security Update" page and the bar moves across as the update is downloaded. Its gets about 2/3rds of the way across, then just stops with a very unhelpful error message "Couldn't Update" subtitle "Installation Problem".

I've tried many times, even after a fresh reboot, and in safe mode. No dice. How do I get this darn update to complete?

Dana

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

danaroode

Dec 26, 2019
Visit site
I appreciate the input. It is Christmas, haven't had time to follow up until now. I have created an account to allow a reply.

I have not rooted the phone. I am reluctant to try to manually install the OS given the warnings about required familiarity with the Android SDK and other things. I did try the suggestion from mustang7757, that didn't help. I will try "Pixel Phone Help" when I don't have a house full of visitors.

Again, I appreciate the suggestions and will get back to this shortly.

Dana

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate the input. It is Christmas, haven't had time to follow up until now. I have created an account to allow a reply.

I have not rooted the phone. I am reluctant to try to manually install the OS given the warnings about required familiarity with the Android SDK and other things. I did try the suggestion from mustang7757, that didn't help. I will try "Pixel Phone Help" when I don't have a house full of visitors.

Dana
I don't know if you are still within the warranty period, but you may need an exchange if you aren't willing to resort to "extraordinary measures." I have seen similar situations where after trying the obvious nothing but an exchange resolved the issue. Google will probably ask you to do a factory reset prior to exchange and as a troubleshooting step. It may even solve the problem. Make sure you back up any important files first.

Good luck

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Dana
Welcome to AC !
Definitely holidays keep us busy , when you get a chance also like you to try to turn off mobile data and wifi try the update button hopefully makes it stop then turn them back and try the update again but clear it out recent apps list before trying . Merry Christmas !

danaroode

Dec 26, 2019
Visit site
Just to close this out -- I had tried safe mode earlier, it did not resolve the problem. I contacted Pixel Help and they asked me questions along the lines discussed here and then told me to try the factory reset. I did that, it did not solve the problem either. They checked for other options and a day later came back with none. They suggested a device replacement, and for me to contact Verizon (who I got the phone from) about that. I did so, they asked some of the same questions, and have arranged a device exchange.

It's odd that my phone could have a defect that only manifests itself by not accepting this update, but so it goes. The phone has been working perfectly other than this.

I will await the replacement phone.

Thanks everyone for your input,

Dana

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Just to close this out -- I had tried safe mode earlier, it did not resolve the problem. I contacted Pixel Help and they asked me questions along the lines discussed here and then told me to try the factory reset. I did that, it did not solve the problem either. They checked for other options and a day later came back with none. They suggested a device replacement, and for me to contact Verizon (who I got the phone from) about that. I did so, they asked some of the same questions, and have arranged a device exchange.

It's odd that my phone could have a defect that only manifests itself by not accepting this update, but so it goes. The phone has been working perfectly other than this.

I will await the replacement phone.

Thanks everyone for your input,

Dana
Thanks for keeping us up to date , sorry it went down to a replacement phone but sometimes it happens.