Why is my Android not updating at the scheduled 2 am update?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My phone says it has an update ready to install, I can chose "Install Now" or "Schedule Install". I always click schedule install so I don't have to wait for my phone to update while I need it at work and have a low battery for the rest of the day.

When I hit Schedule Install, the phone usually chooses 2 am as the Scheduled Install time. This works great, I'm asleep, phone will be plugged in.

But it never works! I wake up and the install is still there, saying I need to do it now. What gives? Why isn't my phone doing the install at the scheduled time?

Rayrayleon

Jun 23, 2021
Visit site
@mustang7757 The model number is SM-N981U/DS. When I bought it they told me it was the FE edition of the Note 20. Although, I'm not sure it really is. Maybe it's just a Note 20.
I haven't had any wifi issues, but maybe at 2am there is a wifi issue, I don't know.
I did check the device care, I don't have any auto restarts.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
@mustang7757 The model number is SM-N981U/DS. When I bought it they told me it was the FE edition of the Note 20. Although, I'm not sure it really is. Maybe it's just a Note 20.
I haven't had any wifi issues, but maybe at 2am there is a wifi issue, I don't know.
I did check the device care, I don't have any auto restarts.
You have the Note 20 , you have to enter pin or password when you first look at your phone when you wake up.?

Rayrayleon

Jun 23, 2021
Visit site
@mustang7757 Yes, I have a PIN to open my phone. But I also have the biometric face recognition, which will also open my phone in the mornings. If I restart my phone, I have to use the PIN to open. But in the mornings, I don't need to use the PIN, I can just use the biometric face recognition.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
@mustang7757 Yes, I have a PIN to open my phone. But I also have the biometric face recognition, which will also open my phone in the mornings. If I restart my phone, I have to use the PIN to open. But in the mornings, I don't need to use the PIN, I can just use the biometric face recognition.
Ok just wanted to make sure no restarting, which looks ok . Its really hard to say why the rescheduling doesn't work as intended , i usually update it right away when it asks and takes literally no more than 10 minutes

tomysamsung

Nov 30, 2021
Visit site
I've been in a few rooms just made an account for this question is all over here with no answer just the same failing methods I'd like to know as well why the Samsung phones don't update when scheduled my s8 s10 and note 20 all have done this it asked me to schedule yesterday I picked 4 am this time just to see if it was the 2 am and it didn't update had actually told me it's ready to do it 3 times this morning with a little pop up oh the screen let's hope one day someone figures it out

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've been in a few rooms just made an account for this question is all over here with no answer just the same failing methods I'd like to know as well why the Samsung phones don't update when scheduled my s8 s10 and note 20 all have done this it asked me to schedule yesterday I picked 4 am this time just to see if it was the 2 am and it didn't update had actually told me it's ready to do it 3 times this morning with a little pop up oh the screen let's hope one day someone figures it out
Hi welcome to AC!
If none of the stuff already mentioned is this issue, its really tough to say why it doesn't.

tomysamsung

Nov 30, 2021
Visit site
Agreed I wish samsung would figure it out they haven't answered as well been trying to figure this out for years and none of the repeated answers on thr multiple pages of this question ever do it if anything I've tried everything on every phone doesn't matter my phone updated at 10 something today instead of 4 am it completely ignores the schedule and simply does it when it wants

Jay Mi

Apr 18, 2022
Visit site
This post sounds like something I wrote and forgot about until now when my Note 10 did it again. Once for a normal update and once for a security update. Two separate days within a week and I only get a 5 minute warning before the forced update goes through.

Details: Note 10. Android 12 (11 did this too). Power Saving is on. No auto restart activated (didn't even know this option existed). WiFi on and connected to highest speed Fios.

This morning, I needed to track my infant's feeding time. Turned screen on and logged in. Took infant out to change her. When I looked back to add the changing and feeding it was already installing. Is there any way to force this to and interrupt it so I can use my phone again? If husband weren't awake to give me the times, I wouldn't have been even remotely accurate. (I held power button and VDown buttons. Screen went black, then came back with install starting over.)

This problem makes me really want to switch to Apple. If another more infuriating problem comes up, I might do so. Actually, I've been researching Linux Phones. My somewhat techy husband is discouraging it but at least I know to expect problems. For a little more security, control of my phone's battery (physical battery cut off switch), and a way to detox myself from my phone addiction while being able to communicate, I think it might be worth the hassle.