Why is my phone overheating and the battery draining quicker?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Samsung A7 that is a bit more than 3 years old and recently I've been getting warnings that its overheating, sometimes even when I'm not using it. It doesn't feel any warmer than usual to the touch but I've stopped using a case to try and help the issue to no avail.
The battery doesn't hold its charge as long as it used to but does make it through the day (barely). Sometimes the phone will shut down completely because of the supposed overheating issues. I've deleted some games and apps and have tried to minimize apps working in the background as well but the problem persists.
Today I had charged the phone to 98% and 7 hours later its down to 60% even though I only used it to take about 6 photos and used Twitter for about 15 minutes total. Would replacing the battery be an option to fix this issue or am I stuck buying a new phone? I just find it a shame because it has worked fantastic for me up to now and I've taken great care of it with barely a scratch after more than 3 years.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which may show Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html
You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html