Why is my wifi AND 4g so erratic and slow?

Feb 16, 2017
Visit site
This is for a g5. It has been the same on both android 6 and 7. And similar issues happened when I was on t-mobile with a different phone (with t-mobile it was rare to get a connection, but was fast when I got one). This is with Sprint.

But I many time have trouble connecting to the network, but usually can connect. Sometimes I get a very slow connection of 50kb/s or less. Other times it will got up to around 300kb/s. And very very rarely it will go up to the 1MB/s or so range. And it is very erratic. I will try to download something from the google play store and I will get these peaks and valleys were one second I have 600kb/s and the next 1 or 0 kb/s then back to 200kb/s then back down to 0 then up to 300, then 0 then 100 then 10 etc....

Similar issues happen with wifi, but it is lesser then. WTF is going on?

The tower for both t-mobile and sprint is only about a mile away. Also, when I was on t-mobile and in another town where t-mobile should work well, the ability to get a connection was even worse. IN TOWN. It is not the area I am in.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you sure Sprint's coverage is decent in your area? If it's poor, that can certainly explain the poor speeds with mobile data.

Feb 16, 2017
Visit site
The tower for both t-mobile and sprint is only about a mile away. Also, when I was on t-mobile and in another town where t-mobile should work well, the ability to get a connection was even worse. IN TOWN. It is not the area I am in.

Feb 16, 2017
Visit site
I don't know if any others have the same issue. Many are on Verizon. One phone was in a case, the other was not. I would be surprised if a thin layer of plastic impeded the signal.

Feb 16, 2017
Visit site
For some reason firefox can download okay, but the google play store cannot. It peaks up and down and then slam down to 0kb/s and does not go back up, and then the download push notice dissappears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ILTAFGICHKI