Why is this one missed call not showing up in my call log/history?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

This is more for my own curiosity than anything else, but it's been bugging me.

I have a Sony Xperia (z3 I think) and I don't normally give out the number for it, since I mainly use it for things like calling family members, but a few weeks ago I got a missed call on it. I swiped the notification away since I decided I would check it out later, but I can't find the number anywhere on my phone. Normally if I get a missed call it appears in my messages along with my texts with that person but this number has not appeared in there, and I've checked the call log and there's no number in there that isn't already in my contacts list.

I'm guessing it was some sort of scam call since I'm not sure who else it could be (and they haven't called again, which I figured they would do if it was someone legit), but I'd like to know if possible why I can't find the number.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A robodialer might have called your voicemail number directly (they call numbers randomly, starting with the digits for an area, then going from all 0s to as many 9s as your local phone number has (that varies by country - in the US they start with the area code and exchange and go from 0000 to 9999 - if your voicemail number is in that group, it gets called, they hang up, and you might get that notification).

Aussie Android

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
Sorry I'm the OP I just made this account, a specific number appeared but it wasn't one I'm familiar with. I'm guessing it was a home/landline phone that called since my own home phone doesn't leave a missed call message that I can access at anytime, but I think it was still recent enough that it should have been in my call history.

And thanks for the information on robodialers Rukbat, I have a feeling that's what it would have been (or a wrong number). I recently read an article about overseas calls that ring your phone long enough to leave a notification then hang up so you call them back and spend money which I think might have been what happened, since I had the phone next to me on vibrate when the call happened and I usually hear it vibrating.

It's just the lack of call history that has me confused and a little suspicious, unless my model just has a really short memory for call history.

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
It's just the lack of call history that has me confused and a little suspicious, unless my model just has a really short memory for call history.

If you can't remember exactly when the call came in you can approximate, then judge if your call history goes beyond that...? Anyway, I get a lot of seemingly undocumented calls that I mostly ignore or let ring, I don't answer any call that is just a number, restricted or unknown, and think the reason they don't show up is they are spoofed numbers.

I get a lot of calls I'm sure are spoofed that I can see, from seemingly local numbers. The reason I know these are spoofed is because I'll sometimes get a couple a day or even in a couple of days and the numbers will be like 212 357-4567, 4583, 2356, 4578.... If you haven't experienced this you're truly blessed (no religious intent intended). Like I was saying though, many of these numbers just flash up and then they are gone. Some of the ones I can see I reverse look them up, and this is another clue that they are spoofed numbers, some come back to real actual local people. My frustration is in not being able to block these calls, they're impossible to block because the last 4 always change. I wouldn't care if the number was there or not.

I wonder if they would show up in detailed billing? Might check your online carrier account and see if you can view your details. I know Verizon used to do it, but I'm not sure anymore.

Aussie Android

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
If you can't remember exactly when the call came in you can approximate, then judge if your call history goes beyond that...? Anyway, I get a lot of seemingly undocumented calls that I mostly ignore or let ring, I don't answer any call that is just a number, restricted or unknown, and think the reason they don't show up is they are spoofed numbers.
Unfortunately, I think I got the call sometime just before the last call that appears in my log, so there's a decent chance it's just been forgotten by my phone. However, I think I checked the call log a little while ago and it should have been there, it wasn't so long ago that it would be long gone.
I get a lot of calls I'm sure are spoofed that I can see, from seemingly local numbers. The reason I know these are spoofed is because I'll sometimes get a couple a day or even in a couple of days and the numbers will be like 212 357-4567, 4583, 2356, 4578.... If you haven't experienced this you're truly blessed (no religious intent intended). Like I was saying though, many of these numbers just flash up and then they are gone. Some of the ones I can see I reverse look them up, and this is another clue that they are spoofed numbers, some come back to real actual local people. My frustration is in not being able to block these calls, they're impossible to block because the last 4 always change. I wouldn't care if the number was there or not.
I'm not sure how likely it is to be a spoof since I haven't gotten a call from them since, but I guess it would make sense about why I can't find it.
I wonder if they would show up in detailed billing? Might check your online carrier account and see if you can view your details. I know Verizon used to do it, but I'm not sure anymore.
I just checked with my carrier, it's the first time I've done anything like this so maybe I just did it wrong but from what I could tell my carrier's call history (in the detailed billing) starts at the same time as the one on my phone.

Thanks for the advice though, I'll try and see if I can get the billing to go back further, but even then I'm not sure anything will show up since I never answered the phone so there's nothing really to charge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781