Why isn't caller name displaying despite being in my contacts?

NickInKL

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
After much heartache I eventually got my contacts from my old dumb Nokkia into the S5....they seem to appear as Google contacts.
Now...any incoming call...from any of my contacts...it says 'unknown'.
I have played with the app's Merge+ and Contacts+....nope....just will not show the contact name of incoming call.
Any ideas please? (Just want these contacts to reside IN my phone...just like they nice and simply did in my old Nokkia)

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Will not display incoming caller name despite being in my contacts.

I have this problem too. I cannot find any settings that can show the contact's number and name even with caller ID off.

Posted via Android Central App

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

Just a thought are the imported contacts mapped to the correct fields ?

ie telephone number is in number ?

Have you also tried copying to sim to see if it works ?

NickInKL

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

Well everthing seems to be mapped to he correct field....i.e....the cell number is in the field called "Mobile phone".
So now what???

trickym81

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

You might want to check with your carrier. I know that mine has two different types of caller ID and, on my last phone (Lumia 710) I had to switch types because the one they had me on didn't work with that phone. It's just a guess, but it might help.

NickInKL

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

As someone suggested...this was indeed caused my by 'telco'. After a lot of disussion they 'reset' my account and it all worked!
Lots of hours wasted but quite a bit learnt. Thank you.

bzkat

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site

I have the same problem this morning. Please see whether this can help. I "Remove" my Google Account from S5. And "Add" it again all the name comes up.

stonzee

May 24, 2013
Visit site

I have the same problem. I have talked to my carrier and they don't have a clue how to resolve it. I've talked to the phone manufacturer and they couldn't help. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I have cleared the partition cache. I have done a hard factory reset. Nothing worked.
The numbers come in with a +1 in front of them. I tried adding +1 to all my contacts. Still no names just numbers. Help.

peter gauci

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I have just migrated from my S3 to the S5, and allowed my google account as the means of moving contacts info from one phone to another. Some of my contacts came through with photo and name being displayed on an incoming call, but some just came through with just the tel number. After a lot of fluffing about I decided to either delete and re-enter the mobile number details in the contacts app, or just waited for a call to come through and I saved the details by updating an existing account. That seemed to do the trick. I also went into the contacts app and checked the mobile number of the contact as being 'default' This is a laborious way to sort it out - I am sure that there is a blip somewhere between the way the S3 and S5 store contact details............

10basetom

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I just fixed this. Here's how (try with one contact to verify): go into the phone number field and delete everything except the 7 or 8 digits of the phone number (or 10 digits for US?). This means no plus sign, no country code, and no spaces. When you save a space will be inserted automatically for display only, and that's OK (as long as you don't add a space manually in the field).

I know, stupid huh? This is one of the dumbest software design flaws I've ever seen.

WShan3

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi.. Could anyone can help for my problem.
I switch the phone from ipohe to Oppo R7.
My Problem show as below:
1. My contact list had successfully transfer one by one, do you have have any suggest to transfer the contact list in short time consuming.
2. My contact list are with the international code which is "+6", however the incoming call was not display the name as it only show the contact but all are saved in my contact list. Is it for Android have to have 2 same number which one with international code for Whatapps purposes and another without international code for normal (incoming call and SMS)?Do you have the better and faster to solve it ?

Appreciate you help on my problem. Thank you

qwertygogo

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I just fixed this. Here's how (try with one contact to verify): go into the phone number field and delete everything except the 7 or 8 digits of the phone number (or 10 digits for US?). This means no plus sign, no country code, and no spaces. When you save a space will be inserted automatically for display only, and that's OK (as long as you don't add a space manually in the field).

I know, stupid huh? This is one of the dumbest software design flaws I've ever seen.

I have an LG K10, and this worked for me. I re-entered the phone number for ONE contact and it fixed the problem for all. I tested using my husband's cell phone number; entered the number and the phone DID place in all of the dashes (even though I did not). Grabbed his phone, called myself, and done. Have not had the problem with any contact since.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2