Why not release on every carrier like the S3?

footballbanker

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I just don't understand that move. Or is it the carriers that do not want the top phone from HTC? HTC doesn't stand a chance with releasing their flagship on 2 carriers instead all the of them.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Its on more than two, if you count the smaller carriers, and custom versions on Sprint.

But you have to ask this question to the Carriers, not of HTC.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Basically, HTC isn't Samsung. Samsung is the top dog when it comes to Android OEMs.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
The carrier has to want the phone. If they don't think it is worth their time (Not gonna sell) they have no use for it. With the GSM carriers you just have to buy an unlocked version and it will work. The CDMA carriers are an completely different beast.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The carrier has to want the phone. If they don't think it is worth their time (Not gonna sell) they have no use for it. With the GSM carriers you just have to buy an unlocked version and it will work. The CDMA carriers are an completely different beast.

They still have to make GSM carriers want the phone too.

You could buy it unlocked, but the number of people who go that route is insignificant.

For all intents and purposes, we aren't the customers to the OEMs. The carriers are.

footballbanker

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I would think the carriers want the best the OEM's have to offer. For HTC that is the HOX. Only 2 carriers offering it is not cool. I would have bought it in a heartbeat on Tmo.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
As said, I think HTC would gladly sell these to all carriers that want to enter a bulk order. But some may not want it.

Once you include the EVO, then it is on 3 of the 4 main carriers. The question is why didn't Big Red want it?

Well, they likely have plans for two main powerhouse android phones right now, the GSIII and the Moto Droid Fighter. Maybe they didn't want to look like they were getting the "Sprint Designed EVO" or maybe they didn't want to offer too many choices prior to eliminating grandfathered unlimited data with the next iphone. But the success of the SGSII last year and the anticipation of the SGSIII this year is pretty self explanatory, as for the fighter, VZW has a thing for Motos.

-Suntan

dylan808

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Once you include the EVO, then it is on 3 of the 4 main carriers. The question is why didn't Big Red want it?

-Suntan

i'm thinking it's mainly what you stated. Verizon has invested a lot of advertising to their Moto/Droid Devices and bringing in ANOTHER superphone would take away from that. Verizon hasn't been too good with HTC devices either, not counting the Incredible because that was great for it's time. (see. Trophy, Thunderbolt, Incredible 2)

and i think HTC should've at least launched both the One X and One S on whatever carriers they could so they could at least get the One series out there and in the consumer mindshare so they could at least have one less disadvantage against samsung.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
It's only on 2 carriers in the US. The US isn't HTC's only market.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Yeah but at world mobile congress HTC told everyone that they were releasing the same phone on each of the major networks and would not let the carriers change the names or style ummmm can we say HTC evo 4g lte yep they couldn't even stand up to sprint and this was HTC own words we want uniform across carriers yeah that didn't happen. Samsung knows to compete keep it the same high end device across carriers just like apple HTC has no nads

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but at world mobile congress HTC told everyone that they were releasing the same phone on each of the major networks and would not let the carriers change the names or style ummmm can we say HTC evo 4g lte yep they couldn't even stand up to sprint and this was HTC own words we want uniform across carriers yeah that didn't happen. Samsung knows to compete keep it the same high end device across carriers just like apple HTC has no nads

HTC doesn't have the clout that Samsung does. And neither have the clout that Apple does.

DroidDavi

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
This is the 1st time Amy Android OEM is doing this. This is a big deal as far as after market accessories go. All my ifriends talk about all the accessories. Samsung belt a brand inside of a brand and the deserve this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

footballbanker

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Apple's clout should dimenish as tome goes on. HTC needs to stop making mistakes woth their devices like the multitasking, non-removable battery, and no expandable memory. I think they are charging too much for their phones too. $549.99 for the S3. One S is same price, One X is $600 I beleive.

DroidDavi

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Apple's clout should dimenish as tome goes on. HTC needs to stop making mistakes woth their devices like the multitasking, non-removable battery, and no expandable memory. I think they are charging too much for their phones too. $549.99 for the S3. One S is same price, One X is $600 I beleive.

I don't know if those are mistakes. The battery and no SD slot is something I think phones in general are moving towards. And as far as price is concerned the vast majority of people don't but phones full price so don't hold your breath on that changing

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

I doubt Apples clout will dimenish anytime soon. It is still the best selling device on AT&T and Verizon. Link

But I agree that HTC needs to do a better job. Hopefully the combined One series will drive a better accessory market which is something they have always lacked. But if you have 80 different models, why would anyone want to make accessories.

footballbanker

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
This is why I see the OEM's moving towards making fewer devices. All they really need for each OS is a entry, mid amd high end device. All yhe same on every network. This means more aftermarket accessories and better support. all these different variations on different networks just doesnt make sense. When Android and Windows OEMM's do this, Apple's power will steadily decline. Tgis is the way we are headed. The same models released on every carrier.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This is why I see the OEM's moving towards making fewer devices. All they really need for each OS is a entry, mid amd high end device. All yhe same on every network. This means more aftermarket accessories and better support. all these different variations on different networks just doesnt make sense. When Android and Windows OEMM's do this, Apple's power will steadily decline. Tgis is the way we are headed. The same models released on every carrier.

Only Samsung is there now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gennenb