News Why the hell would Google promise seven years of updates?

deltatux

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
People are holding on to their devices longer and having longer term support helps those who buy in the used market.

Personally know people who hold on to devices well over the 3 year mark. Hell, I keep old phones as spares. Having them at least have security updates makes them hit the landfill slower.

If one takes care of their devices, they can last. You don't have to replace them every 2 or 3 years. Hell, currently still rocking the Pixel 6 & unless something drastically happens, I'll probably wait for the Pixel 10 or the Galaxy S25 before upgrading as my device is perfectly fine.

djhass923

Mar 6, 2024
Visit site
Google also promised if I joined Google Fi I would get a new phone every 2 years. They cancelled that.
They promised unlimited cloud storage and cancelled that.
Google changes their mind all the time and isn't always exactly transparent. They have no problem pulling the rug out when it's convenient.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
People are holding on to their devices longer and having longer term support helps those who buy in the used market.

Personally know people who hold on to devices well over the 3 year mark. Hell, I keep old phones as spares. Having them at least have security updates makes them hit the landfill slower.

If one takes care of their devices, they can last. You don't have to replace them every 2 or 3 years. Hell, currently still rocking the Pixel 6 & unless something drastically happens, I'll probably wait for the Pixel 10 or the Galaxy S25 before upgrading as my device is perfectly fine.
Agreed ! ;) Since switching from iPhones in 2011, I guess I've been an Android 6-year'er (user of only one android phone for 6 yrs straight). Interesting article though.

2011 Galaxy SIII — only phone used for 6 years, until 2017
2017 Galaxy S7 Active — only phone used for 6 years, until 2023 (still using for music &c outdoors)
2023 Galaxy S23+ — . . . . ?

Btw, I still have my 2009 iPhone 3GS — that I use(d) as an iPod — since it has one of the original versions of the TuneIn app on it — before they moved recording & no ads to a premium v. — that lets you record everything, e.g. all sports games &c, then listen to them at your leisure.
However the battery died when I left it turned-off too long, I guess. =(( So I ordered a new one but haven't put it in as yet; keep forgetting to. :unsure:

Last edited:
Reactions: Laura Knotek

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think nothing wrong with offering 7 year updates especially people holding on to their phones longer, these device are powerful and more than capable for going that long, You couldn't say that years ago on phones with 1or 2gb ram and 16gb storage.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
4 years was the longest that I kept a phone. 3 is more typical for me, unless an unfortunate drop takes one out, as it happened with 2 of my past devices.

However, a Galaxy S9 that I used for just 2 years did get passed down to my youngest son last year and he's still using it today. I think it could handle up to Android 12 (stuck at 10), and it sure would be nice if it at least still got security updates - but that's done too.

Realistically, I think they should offer at least a minimum OS update timeframe, and call it 5 years with security updates 2 more after that. Let that be the standard, with further OS updates based on what the device can handle and what the state of the OS is at that point. I mean, if it can handle another year or two or five beyond that, great. Don't just cut them all off at a set time.

That's just my take.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174