Why use WQHD+ Instead of FHFD+ Resolution?

consultant1027

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I noticed on my new phone it comes with the resolution defaulted to 2280 x 1080 (FHD+) but it can be set to WQHD+ (3040 x 1440). My understanding is you use a bit less battery when using a lower resolution.

So if I'm not playing games, or watching 4K videos, is there really any reason to use the WQHD+ resolution? When I switch between the two, the fonts, icons, and apps have no noticeable difference in appearance. This is understandable when you consider many of us are watching TV and Movies in 1080P FHD and 4K UHD on a 60+ inch TV from across the room. Packing that same resolution into a 6-6.7" screen, even when viewing close up the PPI is so dense, even the lower 2280 x 1080 resolution looks beautiful with no discernable difference compared to 3040 x 1440. Even if you were to watch a 4K YouTube Video, on that small of a screen, I doubt there's any significant difference to watching it in 1080P. You definitely can see a difference on a 60" TV from 10-feet away.

I would also think in some cases on some phones maybe even gamers WANT to use the lower resolution to get faster frame rates for their games?

So I got to thinking further, is the WQHD+ resolution really in all practicality amounting to more of a marketing benefit to be able to advertise a spec that is equal to or better than competing model phones? Sort of like how for several years we got into the "Megapixel Race" on digital cameras only to come to realize more is not always better (higher megapixels on many cameras just introduced more noise given the same sensor size.)

Maybe the fact the manufacturer (Samsung), ships the phone defaulted to FHD+ instead of WQHD+ sort of answers my question right there?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781