Why won't my camera focus anymore?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have an Acer Zenfone V, and as of a few days ago the camera won't focus, not even in manual mode.
There was no drop or damage that I could think of that started it, just one day when I opened my camera it was out of focus. It wasn't trying to focus either, the focus was just fixed at a few inches from the lens. Things I've already tried: closed and opened the app, restarted the phone, changed and reset app settings, cleared the cache, tried safe mode, cleaned the lens and laser with glass cleaner, force closed the app, installed a different camera app, checked for updates, and all sorts of suggestions I found on the internet (smack the phone, shake the phone, put tape on the lens, open the app in landscape, cover the laser for 15 seconds). Again, every now and then when I open it it's clear again and focuses brilliantly, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern that I can find as to what makes it work or not. Any thoughts as to whether this might be a hardware or a software problem and what I could do about it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you hear any odd buzzing sounds from the camera module when you're using the camera? I'd suspect the autofocus mechanism is either jammed or has failed. It is, after all, one of the only moving parts in the phone, and is therefore prone to mechanical failure. Assuming the phone is no longer under warranty, you'd have to bring it to a repair shop to replace the camera module.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's my guess. You already tried Safe Mode, which eliminates a problem from a 3rd party app. You could always try a factory reset, and if that doesn't work, the last step would be to try reinstalling the firmware (not sure how hard that might be on that phone).

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
There might be a loose power connection to the autofocus mechanism or the PMIC responsible for it has started to either fail or lose contact with the motherboard. Another scenario is a mechanical jam as B.Diddy suggested or the motor dying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol