Why your device is not as fast as expected

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Have you purchased a device and it seems to be less snappy that other devices with similar hardware? Does your old device perform significantly slower than a one generation newer device or a modern device with a weaker processor? Well, the problem is storage performance. For example, if device A and B have similar or the same SoC and RAM, but device A has slower storage, device B will run much snappier. Heck, both may perform same/similarly on stuff that is CPU/GPU bound but loading times and system smoothness will be VERY different (I won't use emulation of any kind as a comparison as that varies hugely between adjacent chip generations as I've found). So for example, I noticed that my 2.5 year old Galaxy Tab S3 is performing noticeably slower than 5 month old S8. Now yes, the Tab S3's bugs that occasionally caused hard hangups that were present in Oreo were eliminated with Pie, but the system feels like it is having a harder time running and will sometimes hang up albeit not too badly, usually when web browsing and downloading stuff at the same time. My S8 lacks these issues, so I don't even use my tablet for internet based stuff too much anyway (it is mainly an emulation device now). So I decided to investigate myself. I ran some storage tests on both devices and was in for a freaking shock (see screenshots). Both the sequential read/write (important for file copying/saving/downloading) and random read/write (especially important for system responsiveness) are far better on the S8. Now of course, this means that the tablet will have a harder time running software with bulkier file sizes, such as new operating systems (hence why Pie feels "heavier") and the same applies for newer and larger day to day applications. Now the S8 with its much faster (and also less used and age-degraded) storage is way more futureproof and still feels blazing fast. Add to the mix the fact that the Snapdragon chip in the S8 has twice the cores and 50% better overall multi core performance (according to Geekbench 4) and you can see where I'm going. Now if the Tab S3 had storage similar to the S8, it would still likely be very very fast. So next time you go phone shopping, if possible try and install Androbench on a bunch of similarly specces in-store show phones and compare the storage performance and then pick the one with the best overall performance.
8b037568fe656a47e6476ab11e04ce26.jpg
6ca84737ae25c8ca92f2aee51097389c.jpg