widgetlocker killing battery

Joe92GT

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I was happy with the battery life form my bionic for the past week. Then I installed widgetlocker and battery life went to hell.

Before you all say "widget locker will not have any effect", I can say with out a doubt it is widgetlocker.

Here is what I did to confirm: Phone went dead in 4 hours after installing widget locker, so I eliminated the materialistic clock I was using on the lock screen. I figured that was the problem. Nope, went dead in 4 hours again. I was in a meeting all day, so I didn't touch the phone and it died. Also, it was warm in my pocket like I was using it the whole time.

Today, I disabled widget locker and after 4 hours I am at like 95% left. The icon shows a full 100%. I did nothing else, not even a battery pull.

So, what is happening with widget locker that is killing the battery, I really like this app but not if it does this. Anyone else have this experience?

dhp106

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I am sure a a lot of people do. Which is why a lot don't use it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
It might be coincidence, but I just posted a thread about my 'battery charging, but really not' this morning.

I explained how I awoke this past Monday & Tuesday mornings to 44% and 36% battery life but yet had it wall charging for 7-8hrs overnight. All last week, no issues, but the only thing I can think of is Sunday I installed Widgetlocker...
I quickly un-installed it and it "seems" my overnight battery charging is back to normal. But we'll see.. Could be other factors I'm not sure of..

I like the stock lock screen, but really need the battery % on it. I HATE unlocking the phone just to see that. :mad:

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Anything further on this? I am running Widget Locker here and charged my Extended battery overnight. Got up at 6AM at BWI in a 4G LTE area....spent AM in Baltimore. Light use of phone on email and extended battery was 15% by 11:30am. I put I. A stock battery that was fully charged. By 5pm I was back at BWI and at 15% left on battery. So I switched to my third battery, another standard one that came with Moto battery charging stand. By 6pm am down to 80%

This is as bad or worse than my Droid X was. Do I need to uninstall Widget locker? Keep 4g off? Get a power app?
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Joe92GT

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Just disable widget locker after the next charge and see for yourself.

I went from 16+ hours with moderate use during a work day, to 4-5 with widget locker. Now I'm at 9 hours run time, 60% remaining with widget locker dissabled. I wish it wasn't true, but it is.

Worse, I can't find anyway to contact them to tell/ask them about it.

sj993

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm running widget locker and have been since the day I got the bionic and I have no battery issues to speak of. I'm currently running the extended battery and I get around 2 days out of it running 4G with light usage. Heavier usage nets me about a day and a half.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I had the weatherbug elite widget with the radar map displayed on the lock screen along with the Beautiful Widgets Superclock 4x1 widget.. The weather radar map only updates every three hours it says but who knows. Will see if removing that widget improves the situation some. :(

Last edited:

rlmesq

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm running Widgetlocker with a Beautiful Weather today widget and scrolling Agenda Widget display. It has two sliders (one with dialer, volume and flashlight buttons, and one is a transparent iPhone style slider that is invisible).

I can't see where Widgetlocker produces any battery drain whatsoever, and it doesn't appear on the battery use screen.

johncsuh

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm running Widgetlocker with a Beautiful Weather today widget and scrolling Agenda Widget display. It has two sliders (one with dialer, volume and flashlight buttons, and one is a transparent iPhone style slider that is invisible).

I can't see where Widgetlocker produces any battery drain whatsoever, and it doesn't appear on the battery use screen.

I uninstalled WL yesterday to test this and the OP is correct. I had difficulty tryig to squeeze 7 hours of life on 3g with WL. Without it, its been on for 7.5 hours now at 50%

Reactions: alfonso2501

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Am running same test. I just uninstalled too. From 8AM this AM to 1PM, 5 hours with light use I went to 10% battery. Put in fully charged battery (same standard battery at 100%) and am running same usage...we'll see what happens without WL installed. It's 3H:20M and am at 70% and 3.944V so far. We'll see.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Am running same test. I just uninstalled too. From 8AM this AM to 1PM, 5 hours with light use I went to 10% battery. Put in fully charged battery (same standard battery at 100%) and am running same usage...we'll see what happens without WL installed. It's 3H:20M and am at 70% and 3.944V so far. We'll see.
Results here confirm it was using a lot of battery...after same 5+ hours and same usage in same location, I have 30% and 3.659v here w/o Widget Locker and two widgets....whereas I had 10% battery after 5 hours this AM with it running. Actually looks like more phone talk time this afternoon too making it even more obvious.

isosunrise

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I see no significant battery difference with my Bionic and Widget Locker. My Bionic with an extended battery, have talked on the phone for 2 full hours today, email fetch hourly, sent a few emails, some texting, some browsing, an hour of pandora, 4G on 24/7 (great in SF), GPS all on, Wifi/bluetooth off, Widget Locker has no widgets just 6 different lockers... and has been running for 13+ hours now and only at 60% battery life. Maybe one of your widgets are causing this?

Last edited:

Joe92GT

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I thought maybe the widgets were causing the problem, so I left the default widget locker and clock on the screen hoping that would solve the problem. Unfortunately it did not.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Having this same issue, I really like Widget Locker (and have a lot runnng on it), but my extended battery just hit 59% after running since only 7 this morning, with very minimal usage (display time 18m). I even currently have 4G off and Wifi on instead.

I currently have a 4 double-sided sliders and the Beautiful Widgets Super 4x1.

I don't even think I'll make it through the day at this rate.

EDIT: Update, I think I was without wireless signal that entire time for some reason... trying to get to the bottom of it, but my phone searching for 3G for about 4 hours WOULD kill my battery like that, so I'm not blaming WidgetLocker yet.

Last edited:

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I use widget locker and there is no noticeable battery drain. I get the same as i would before I used locker. Maybe i just have not noticed or overlooked it since i run lots of widgets. I shall check it out.