WiFi and apps

newtda513

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
When ever I try to pull up Facebook using WiFi it takes forever. It doesn't matter who's WiFi I am using at the time. If I turn it off then it works great. This happens with a couple other apps too. Any ideas on how to fix the issue would be great.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I notice this sometimes as well, usually late at night. Facebook will be stuck refreshing while on wi-fi, but if I switch to mobile data, it works fine. I'm tempted to blame it on FB, but the same behavior occurs sometimes on YouTube. Speedtest download speeds are typically normal for me during these times. Have no idea--maybe there's an issue with the specific DNS servers associated with my cable internet provider at certain times?

newtda513

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I notice this sometimes as well, usually late at night. Facebook will be stuck refreshing while on wi-fi, but if I switch to mobile data, it works fine. I'm tempted to blame it on FB, but the same behavior occurs sometimes on YouTube. Speedtest download speeds are typically normal for me during these times. Have no idea--maybe there's an issue with the specific DNS servers associated with my cable internet provider at certain times?

Who is your cable provider?

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Comcast

Posted via Android Central App
It could be channel interference. If you're in an area with other wireless routers nearby, or even cordless phones, intermittent interference is always something to suspect. Try changing the channel your router is using.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I know. My routers are already set to automatic, and checking with InSSIDer usually shows that my channels are fairly uncongested.

EDIT: But hmm, tonight, my router seems to want to select a channel that isn't entirely clear. Let's see if Channel 1 works a little better. Thanks, buddy!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But thinking of this issue, it's still strange to me--even if the problem is due to a congested channel, I wonder why Speedtest would still report 20-25 MBPS download speeds with a short ping. Unless that's a different process altogether.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
But thinking of this issue, it's still strange to me--even if the problem is due to a congested channel, I wonder why Speedtest would still report 20-25 MBPS download speeds with a short ping. Unless that's a different process altogether.
It's possible. Speedtest uses multiple HTTP connections to try to saturate your bandwidth. Other apps that use other protocols could put different demands on the software stack. It may be a dead end, but it can't hurt to try a different channel.