Wifi or 3G, which is less battery taxing?

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Another cool feature I have noticed is when you have WiFi on, it looks like it turns off all data to the phone, extending the battery life. I learned this because my house has zero (literally) signal (we live in a bowl surrounded by hills), and my Blackberry would die in 5 hours on a full charge. I come with the Droid, turn on WiFi, and the thing will soldier on for 9 hours or so, getting everything but calls (and texts are a little slow).

Some people might know this already, but I just learned it and thought it was awesome.

yourbrokenoven

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
I have a coworker with an Eris who claims he has over a 2 day battery life with both bluetooth and wifi off. Says he only gets a day's worth with all the radios on. I guess if you're comparing using the 3g radio to the wifi one, yeah, the wifi will draw less power for the time you're using the internet, but if you leave everything on all day, you have a larger power drain.

I don't see such a huge difference in battery life on my Droid. The only thing that drew huge amounts of power was the ever popular Beautiful Widgets home screen widget. If it can't find your GPS location, it keeps trying... ALL EFFING NIGHT, so your battery runs dead in less than 12 hours...