wifi speeds

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed an issue in wifi speeds the past 2-3 weeks. My emails are taking forever to load, videos buffering...i have comcast X1 so supposed to have very fast wifi speeds. I'm wondering if it's something with my phone though as everything is still very fast and emails download immediately. Is there any reason why a cell phones wifi would be slow? Also, does anyone ever use Comcast speed test? I can't get it to work at all. The server is identified but the program never responds...on my cell phone nor a desktop!

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If your video is buffering you have very slow speed to the server you're downloading the video from.

If your emails take forever to load, you have very slow speed to the email server you're using.

That's speed measured from the phone to the server.

A high speed on a speed test app means that you have high speed from the phone to the speed test server.

It's like asking why traffic isn't moving on the road you're on when your friend is on a road that's going 60. Different paths on the internet have different speeds because they have different amounts of traffic on them.

(Speed testing apps only tell you how fast your connection to your provider is - that has nothing to do with how fast you're going to download a video or an app, which is coming from some other place.)

The phone's wifi could be slow, but the only way to test that would be to connect to a known-speed wifi connection - speed from the device to the server being known, IOW, in a lab. Try "forgetting" the wifi connection in the phone, restarting the phone, then creating the connection again.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok i will do that ( forget the connection and set it up again). Thanks for the detailed explanation too!

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
If your video is buffering you have very slow speed to the server you're downloading the video from.

If your emails take forever to load, you have very slow speed to the email server you're using.

That's speed measured from the phone to the server.

A high speed on a speed test app means that you have high speed from the phone to the speed test server.

It's like asking why traffic isn't moving on the road you're on when your friend is on a road that's going 60. Different paths on the internet have different speeds because they have different amounts of traffic on them.

(Speed testing apps only tell you how fast your connection to your provider is - that has nothing to do with how fast you're going to download a video or an app, which is coming from some other place.)

The phone's wifi could be slow, but the only way to test that would be to connect to a known-speed wifi connection - speed from the device to the server being known, IOW, in a lab. Try "forgetting" the wifi connection in the phone, restarting the phone, then creating the connection again.

Also please remind me, how do i clear google chrome cache?

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed an issue in wifi speeds the past 2-3 weeks. My emails are taking forever to load, videos buffering...i have comcast X1 so supposed to have very fast wifi speeds. I'm wondering if it's something with my phone though as everything is still very fast and emails download immediately. Is there any reason why a cell phones wifi would be slow? Also, does anyone ever use Comcast speed test? I can't get it to work at all. The server is identified but the program never responds...on my cell phone nor a desktop!

Update: it's been determined there is nothing wrong with my modem. The other devices in the house work perfectly and fast on the wifi which now leads me to believe it's something with my v10. What would affect my download speeds?? I've got no new apps. Any ideas?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
TKIP encryption on the router's wireless settings. Use AES, not TKIP or TKIP+AES. (I had such a slow connection even with AES on a Linksys that I replaced it with the cheapest Netgear on the market, just to see if Linksys was the problem - it was. The 4500 is now a paperweight.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Update: it's been determined there is nothing wrong with my modem. The other devices in the house work perfectly and fast on the wifi which now leads me to believe it's something with my v10. What would affect my download speeds?? I've got no new apps. Any ideas?

Let's start with troubleshooting. Did you download a WiFi analyzer? Is it just the one browser app running that slows down? Try other apps like YouTube or different browsers and see if they are slow also. Worst case scenario backup the phone to SD card or cloud and do a factory reset. The firmware that is running could have ran into a problem. It could be corrupted or running wonky. Remember sometimes this can happen on any device.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

What band (5ghz or 2.4ghz) are your devices on? Have you tried changing the channel on your router? I mentioned that in your other thread, which by the way, you should ask a mod to merge since they are essentially identical.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
TKIP encryption on the router's wireless settings. Use AES, not TKIP or TKIP+AES. (I had such a slow connection even with AES on a Linksys that I replaced it with the cheapest Netgear on the market, just to see if Linksys was the problem - it was. The 4500 is now a paperweight.

Although I agree about TKIP it doesn't explain why the other devices are working just fine.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
What band (5ghz or 2.4ghz) are your devices on? Have you tried changing the channel on your router? I mentioned that in your other thread, which by the way, you should ask a mod to merge since they are essentially identical.

Hi, thanks. I'm on 2.4, get a real weak signal on 5

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Let's start with troubleshooting. Did you download a WiFi analyzer? Is it just the one browser app running that slows down? Try other apps like YouTube or different browsers and see if they are slow also. Worst case scenario backup the phone to SD card or cloud and do a factory reset. The firmware that is running could have ran into a problem. It could be corrupted or running wonky. Remember sometimes this can happen on any device.

I did download a wifi analyzer, but honestly couldn't figure out the results :(

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I did download a wifi analyzer, but honestly couldn't figure out the results :(

Okay let's start with basic? What browser are you using that lags? Can u try another browser or YouTube and see if it lags also?

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Okay let's start with basic? What browser are you using that lags? Can u try another browser or YouTube and see if it lags also?

It's google chrome that came on the phone. Also videos on YouTube keep buffering. I'm not home now. On 4G everything is good lol

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried it on another WiFi? See if its just a problem with your home WiFi? Maybe try at a friends house or something

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital