Will Verizon really open its Droid?

kingohearts2005

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
[/8301-19736_1-10379800-251.html"]Will Verizon really open its Droid?[/URL]

I actually saw this over at Crackberry, thought I would share this over here? What do yall think?
I think they will definitely let it be open. They have advertised it that way and I don't think google would have signed the deal with verizon if verizon hadn't agreed to let them do things their way. I mean look at the design of the phone. All google. They ruled Motorola and I think the same goes for Verizon.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i'm surprised people at crackberry are questioning the openness that verizon has been showing it's smart phones for a while now...both of my recent blackberries have had virtually untouched software AND hardware. the only thing that was verizony on them was the links to download some of their apps if i wanted to.

verizon hasn't messed with any of their smartphone's OS's since i can remember (back in the day when i was considering a motoQc it was still vanilla winmo but with a vcast layer added to it, something like a really crappy version of the SenseUI if you will, but you could switch between the two effortlessly.)

LikeWebOS

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
i'm surprised people at crackberry are questioning the openness that verizon has been showing it's smart phones for a while now...both of my recent blackberries have had virtually untouched software AND hardware. the only thing that was verizony on them was the links to download some of their apps if i wanted to.

verizon hasn't messed with any of their smartphone's OS's since i can remember (back in the day when i was considering a motoQc it was still vanilla winmo but with a vcast layer added to it, something like a really crappy version of the SenseUI if you will, but you could switch between the two effortlessly.)

There are people that nkow more technically than I do about Verizon locking down their phones. Some things that I know about are, taking out WiFi out of their Blackberries (although its stated the Tour is the last BB to not have WiFi), on WiFi capable phones it would be locked down unless you were subscribed to their data plans, which are not mandatory, and GPS was locked down too unless you subscribed to their VZnaviagator.

Other than that, I'm really not sure what else. Except for how they tried to unify all of their "dumb phones" with one OS/Menu layout from Motorolas, to LGs, to Samsungs.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Can't say without linking to another 'droid board, which is usually inappropriate. His comments are short, but he's clearly a VZW employee who's had his training already. Let's appreciate his kindness in sharing what he can, which ain't much.

ircactus

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
There are people that nkow more technically than I do about Verizon locking down their phones. Some things that I know about are, taking out WiFi out of their Blackberries (although its stated the Tour is the last BB to not have WiFi), on WiFi capable phones it would be locked down unless you were subscribed to their data plans, which are not mandatory, and GPS was locked down too unless you subscribed to their VZnaviagator.

Other than that, I'm really not sure what else. Except for how they tried to unify all of their "dumb phones" with one OS/Menu layout from Motorolas, to LGs, to Samsungs.

Newer Verizon phones like the Tour and Storm do not have their gps's locked out at all. This was something in earlier models. Verizon does force you into a data plan on any smartphone activated on their network so the addition of wifi doesn't matter other than to lighten the load on the Verizon network itself.

LikeWebOS

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Newer Verizon phones like the Tour and Storm do not have their gps's locked out at all. This was something in earlier models. Verizon does force you into a data plan on any smartphone activated on their network so the addition of wifi doesn't matter other than to lighten the load on the Verizon network itself.

But if they really wanted to lighten the load, then they would allow phones that are wifi capable, not to require the data plan. Of course though I understand its all bout the bottom dollar.

And you're right about the GPS, I forgot about the whole thing with GPS vs aGPS when Google had to rewrite or make compatiable Google Maps just for the Storm and all that.

cswee10582#AC

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
i did have a samsung omnia with vzw before i moved to sprint for the pre/hero. The only way I could get my GPS to work on my omnia was to run another ROM on it.

ircactus

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
But if they really wanted to lighten the load, then they would allow phones that are wifi capable, not to require the data plan. Of course though I understand its all bout the bottom dollar.

And you're right about the GPS, I forgot about the whole thing with GPS vs aGPS when Google had to rewrite or make compatiable Google Maps just for the Storm and all that.

yup. They will lighten the netload regardless and still make the $$ for the data plan. We'll see how the droid phone plays out. Wouldn't mind wifi calling (T-mobile Uma calling) but I won't hold my breath. Who knows. Gonna hold my breath till the FCC comes down with something on Neutrality.

kingohearts2005

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site

Check the link they are saying agps and sgps for the Droid.
Motorola Droid makes appearance on Motorola’s site : Boy Genius Report

kingohearts2005

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
i did have a samsung omnia with vzw before i moved to sprint for the pre/hero. The only way I could get my GPS to work on my omnia was to run another ROM on it.

Yeah but i picked an Omnia a few months back and verizon released an update that unlocked the Gps. Verizon is getting the picture. And I don't think the droid will not be locked to Verizon Gps.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm just hoping they don't add their own UI and close it. Has to be a reason they stayed away from MotoBlur.

Yeah yeah...I'll shut up now lol

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
they probably didn't use motoblur because of it running 2.0 i heard google was pretty vocal in the development process and they probably wanted to showcase a vanilla build of eclair.

man, that made me want dessert.

the last smartphone OS i saw them even remotely mess with was the vcast "skin" to the motoQc. they've never messed with blackberry and with their new relationship with google, i seriously doubt them doing much of anything to sour it

kingohearts2005

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
they probably didn't use motoblur because of it running 2.0 i heard google was pretty vocal in the development process and they probably wanted to showcase a vanilla build of eclair.

man, that made me want dessert.

the last smartphone OS i saw them even remotely mess with was the vcast "skin" to the motoQc. they've never messed with blackberry and with their new relationship with google, i seriously doubt them doing much of anything to sour it

That's exactly it. Google basically told moto what type of device they wanted and that's why the device doesn't have blur. The Motorola Calgary will have it and you notice it got leaked right after all these great details about the Droid came out. Why? Because moto wanted to get their device running blur out there directly after finishing what google wanted.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
As a non-Twit, FB'r, etc...I'm pretty excited that it DOESN'T have Blur. Palm decided to go after that crowd with Synergy. So be it, but there's a lot of us who want an easy to use phone for biz with great internet access...

Remnever

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure Verizon will leave it open. They are finally paying attention to their customers who want to customize their phones. I also have a Samsung Omnia and it seems to be very open. Wifi works great and the recently unlocked GPS also works great.

I am only choosing the Droid over the Omnia because I want to give Android a shot and I miss the Qwerty keyboard that my voyager had.

Verizon won't touch this thing and I hope some of the devs can make some good themes and apps to go with the droid.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomasgabel