Will we see more BlackBerry Android phones?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: will we see more blackberry android phones?

I don't think they are "out" yet. I think Chen had said (a while ago) something about steering the company's focus away from the handset business (i.e., more of an emphasis on software); but I don't they they're out of the device game yet.

I really hope they continue to amp up their game with Android/BlackBerry phones, because, to me, that'd be a match made in Heaven.

shabbs

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: will we see more blackberry android phones?

It's been very quiet on the handset rumours front, which is odd... usually we'll see some sort of leak of parts or something if we're getting near. The Vienna was the rumoured next device. I think they're still in a "wait and see" mode with PRIV.

Kebero

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If BlackBerry is focusing on mobile security as opposed to hardware, I don't think it odd that they would slowly ramp down their hardware offerings until they only have one or two secured devices alongside their MDM business. It's just a matter of making the transition. They wouldn't be the first company to restructure, and I think we're all jumping the gun here.

Posted via the Android Central App

yohannrjm

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I think that if BlackBerry stays in the hardware business (and I think they will - in a small way), they will release just one phone a year. Given the lack of any leak whatsoever of the Vienna (apart from a render), I'd say that it's not going to be released this year....if at all.

I speculate that they will release a Priv with updated specs sometime next year, and there will be no Vienna.

shabbs

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I think we're more likely to see a Priv2 or similar come down the line later than a Vienna anytime soon.

The PRIV sales numbers will tell the tale.

sebstarr

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
Rumours suggest November release of Vienna under a new code name. Must have been some changes

ToniCipriani

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
blackberrycentral.com/news/article/rumour-roundup-31/

They are usually in the know and haven't disappointed before

I picked up their piece about Marshmallow being tested with the carriers as well, then upon closer inspection it was from Feb 11... so it didn't really follow through. Not sure now.

Dunt Dunt Dunt

Q&A Team
Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
April 1st will give us some overall hardware sales numbers... If on tract, more hardware, if the PRIV is a flop?

It's kinda clear based on pricing and lack of marketing, that Chen isn't playing a long game in hardware.

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I think that if BlackBerry stays in the hardware business (and I think they will - in a small way), they will release just one phone a year. Given the lack of any leak whatsoever of the Vienna (apart from a render), I'd say that it's not going to be released this year....if at all.

I speculate that they will release a Priv with updated specs sometime next year, and there will be no Vienna.

I think if they go that route they will do one priv every 2 years to line up with contracts.

They don't have the cash to release one a yr like Samsung.

Maybe vienna every other year as well.

So each device is on its own 2 year schedule. So we will see a new Blackberry once a year. But costs are down cuz they keep it for 2 yrs

Unlike Samsung. S7 released 11 months after s6

posted via the lovely innovative Priv by BlackBerry - Powered by Android

brandonpry55

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I think if they go that route they will do one priv every 2 years to line up with contracts.

They don't have the cash to release one a yr like Samsung.

Maybe vienna every other year as well.

So each device is on its own 2 year schedule. So we will see a new Blackberry once a year. But costs are down cuz they keep it for 2 yrs

Unlike Samsung. S7 released 11 months after s6

posted via the lovely innovative Priv by BlackBerry - Powered by Android

If they keep the upgrade cycle then I can't think of anything that stands out as a negative. Sure we won't have the best hardware but that isn't the reason that I bought my Priv at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sevwren