Windows 10 laptop will connect to phone hotspot but not to internet ??? (yes my data plan allows it)

Jonathan Coombs

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
I used to use the 4G connection on my HTC One (M9) to connect my laptop when away and after updating to windows 10 from 8.1 a while ago and trying to use it the other day it will connect to the network but not to the internet. It still works via my Windows 7 Laptop at work so its not any android software update and the laptop still connects to normal wifi connections.

I have updated the wireless drivers as per Microsoft's help suggestion and also tried with the security changed to open to no avail. Is this a common issue with windows 10 at all? Any other ideas gratefully received!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It connects but most likely the carrier is "dropping its packets on the floor" (blocking it), because your carrier requires an additional payment for tethering and you don't have tethering added to your account. So anything coming from the phone itself goes through, anything coming through the phone's connection from a different device doesn't.

(It's not a driver issue - the only driver involved is the one connecting the wifi transceiver in the laptop, and if it works with any wifi, you're using the right driver. The phone appears as a router to the laptop and you don't use drivers for routers - they're not part of the laptop.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlatdog2024