[WIP] Optimus S Gingerbread ported to the Optimus V

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
WARNING--This is an experimental port--WARNING
Do not try this unless you are willing to brick your phone!!!!
Phone and mobile data are not currently working!!!

If you try a similar mod, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU DELETE THE RADIO.IMG FILE FROM THE PACKAGE ZIP FILE!!!

Thanks to Deez2000 in the Optimus S forums for posting the Sprint Optimus S Gingerbread OTA update package. From it, I have created a port for the Optimus V. I have almost everything working, except the most important part, the phone and mobile data. If anyone can help fix the phone, please post here or PM me.

I'm afraid it's a radio.img issue, since the update package has a new radio.img file. I don't know how to backup my current radio.img, so I'm not about to flash a new one till someone with more knowledge about it comes along with more details.

Anyone interested in trying this out, PM me, I don't think the link should be posted due to high possibility of bricking.

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
this is really exciting. thanks for taking one for the team on this one Jerry. :)

if we can get this to work, it will be really fun to see the ROM's that come out of this. even though IHO is great, we'll definitely have more options on our hands which is never a bad thing!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
flashing the radio would probably get you no data service, like the people who used kdz to flash sprint firmware. yuk. don't remember seeing anyone completely recover from that.

too bad lg's v firmware files are missing that .dll so we can't get a stock v radio.img

opcode1300

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
ill flash mine if everyone chips in if it bricks.

I flashed the evo radio to my inc. with no problems.
but since I have a 1yo now, i can afford to brick phones for fun anymore.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
The only person that should try flashing the radio.img is someone who has already bricked their phone. Otherwise, I highly recommend you wait till we see what we can work out!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
booting backside with the sprint ramdisk takes out the data connection.
but the iho ramdisk doesn't help with the phone signal on the gb rom, even with everything *ril I could find copied over to the gb on the phone.

Reactions: JerryScript

Growjunky

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this will help but I have an optimistis s that I can afford to flash the radio on. I don't know how that could help us on the v though.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
@bigsupersquid: I tried copying alot of various files as well, flashed a half a dozen different configurations, but I'm not sure which ones are required for the radio, or if it's a kernel issue.

@Growjunky: Thanks, but it's an Optimus V radio issue. The new S Gingerbread includes a new radio.img and it can only be flashed in a specific way. If you were to flash the radio.img on an OV, you would not have phone or data working. I don't know if anyone has a copy of the OV radio.img, I couldn't find one. I'm thinking it's under mtd's misc partition, but it could be a part of FOTA as well. If we had it, it might be possible to flash the full S gingerbread package, then use fastboot to flash the OV radio back to it, but there may be kernel issues as well.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
the .35 kernel only borks video and screen-wake-from-suspend in backside, or stock froyo as well (both of those functions work in the new gb.)
the radio (phone & 3g) work fine with the new kernel in backside and stock rom.
<edit> clarification: the OV stock radio works fine with the .35 kernel. Do not mess with the radio.img from the Sprint zip unless you want no phone or data service.

Last edited:

anon(182107)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Originally Posted by JerryScript<br />
I'm confused, are you saying you flashed the radio.img onto an OV?
<br />
<br />
sorry for the confusion, no I didn't mess with the radio.img, just removed it from the zip and updater-script.<br />
I meant the .35 kernel doesn't bork the radio functions on the V.
So we know I it's not the kernel for sure because it doesn't affect the radio?

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
So we know I it's not the kernel for sure because it doesn't affect the radio?

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk
kernel .35 has issues with the froyo libs; *EGL* and whatever lib or framework bit that wakes the screen from suspend, but in all the testing I've done with it all the normal V radio functions work fine.
I've tested it with stock rom, aospcmod, and backside IHO.
The sprint GB fixes the EGL and wake issues with the .35 kernel, and also messes up the CDMA radio interface.
the radio.img is bigger than FOTA_STO partition on my V. Not sure of the size of FOTA_STO on an optimus S
Code:
dump_image FOTA_STO /sdcard/FOTA_STO.img
ls -l /sdcard/FOTA_STO.img
to see, or near the beginning of
Code:
adb shell dmesg
is a list of mtd partition offsets and names.
I bet the radio.img gets flashed into some hidden area, or QPST could probably get a clean dump instead of a partial with errors before finishing.

Reactions: JerryScript

asadullah

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
It's definitely the radio image. I can't remember how exactly but I believe that they used to be able to backup the radio in recovery. One bad thing about the radio is that on the sprint hero they used it to turn the phones to s-off or s-on ....aka fastboot enabled, fastboot not enabled.

When whoever flashed his phone a month or several back with the sprint software what worked and what didn't ? I'm wondering if for some reason we can't get a working radio.img from our phones if we could use one of the early radios from the sprint optimus.

This looks interesting

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
well, after bricking mine yesterday so thoroughly I saw kp500 as the only way out, I put a sprint zv7 firmware on it. had to root it, and change out the recovery to flash back my backup, to see what didn't work. in the stock sprintware, it just endlessly kept trying to network connect and wouldn't stop until powered off.
after flashing my last backup over the sprintware in recovery, my sms messaging and voice calling worked fine.
data was not connecting. showed as possible to connect in logcat but wouldn't do it.
my FOTA_STO partition was bigger after the radio flash, but reflashing the dump_image I made of it before bricking didn't change the radio visibly (but I think I've seen the main problem, in qpst, and it isn't the radio itself.)
almost all of the qpst service settings were identical between the sprint and virgin mobile states of the phone, except under the MIP tab.
After the radio flash, the nai has an obviously sprint address, before the flash obviously virgin mobile. and, different profile(s) in use, and one extra VM profile.
These do not stick when changed in qpst and the phone reboots after trying to write the changes.
I'm pretty sure but not absolutely positive that overwriting those settings would allow data since voice and sms work with the v7 radio.
I found the text for the nai settings in the .bin with a hex editor, and the first hexadecimalMEID@mdata.vmobl.com address is only one character shorter than the sprint nai. the second, hexadecimalMEID@prov.vmobl.com is the same length. so it might be possible to hack the different id's into the nai settings in the .bin file if it could be repacked to a kdz...
also the primary and secondary HA addresses are zeroed for VM but have some numbers for sprint.
the MIN-HA-SPI and MIN-AAA-SPI are identical to each other but different between VM and Sprint.

I also had a qpst nv backup, and only one of those items that would read, wouldn't write, so overwriting the rest of those didn't fix the data either.

funny you mention fastboot, I lost the bootloader entirely after the radio flash. no 'reboot bootloader',from terminal, adb, or power menu; just rebooted to recovery or rom depending on which one was working at the time.

I'd be happy to experiment more, if I can get some kind of firmware, any at all, flashed back on that poor beastie... right now it's down with nothing on it that works.
it's never really been the same since I booted (didn't even flash, just booted) a p500 kernel thinking same chipset a month or so ago. oops. phone was unstable about booting or flashing for a couple days after that, and recently looked like it was having NAND flashing errors before it bricked yesterday.

Last edited:

houckinternet

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
well, after bricking mine yesterday so thoroughly I saw kp500 as the only way out, I put a sprint zv7 firmware on it. had to root it, and change out the recovery to flash back my backup, to see what didn't work. in the stock sprintware, it just endlessly kept trying to network connect and wouldn't stop until powered off.
after flashing my last backup over the sprintware in recovery, my sms messaging and voice calling worked fine.
data was not connecting. showed as possible to connect in logcat but wouldn't do it.
my FOTA_STO partition was bigger after the radio flash, but reflashing the dump_image I made of it before bricking didn't change the radio visibly (but I think I've seen the main problem, in qpst, and it isn't the radio itself.)
almost all of the qpst service settings were identical between the sprint and virgin mobile states of the phone, except under the MIP tab.
After the radio flash, the nai has an obviously sprint address, before the flash obviously virgin mobile. and, different profile(s) in use, and one extra VM profile.
These do not stick when changed in qpst and the phone reboots after trying to write the changes.
I'm pretty sure but not absolutely positive that overwriting those settings would allow data since voice and sms work with the v7 radio.
I found the text for the nai settings in the .bin with a hex editor, and the first hexadecimalMEID@mdata.vmobl.com address is only one character shorter than the sprint nai. the second, hexadecimalMEID@prov.vmobl.com is the same length. so it might be possible to hack the different id's into the nai settings in the .bin file if it could be repacked to a kdz...
also the primary and secondary HA addresses are zeroed for VM but have some numbers for sprint.
the MIN-HA-SPI and MIN-AAA-SPI are identical to each other but different between VM and Sprint.

I also had a qpst nv backup, and only one of those items that would read, wouldn't write, so overwriting the rest of those didn't fix the data either.

funny you mention fastboot, I lost the bootloader entirely after the radio flash. no 'reboot bootloader',from terminal, adb, or power menu; just rebooted to recovery or rom depending on which one was working at the time.

I'd be happy to experiment more, if I can get some kind of firmware, any at all, flashed back on that poor beastie... right now it's down with nothing on it that works.
it's never really been the same since I booted (didn't even flash, just booted) a p500 kernel thinking same chipset a month or so ago. oops. phone was unstable about booting or flashing for a couple days after that, and recently looked like it was having NAND flashing errors before it bricked yesterday.

I remember reading somewhere (either in S or V forums) that there was a way to make all qpst settings stick for flashing to another carrier. here's the link http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...ferent-carriers.html?highlight=change+carrier

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I don't have the vm670.dll , but I have the LS670 DLL, Lgnpst will still read the Op-V though and all those data settings are in there and can be written there. I found LGNPST with all versions of generic models/components. QXDM helped me alot, I'm nearly finished porting my Opt-S to Virgin using my broke old Ov esn, & flashed prl in lgnpst. I just gotta figure out why I cant get 611 to go to Virgin, I did the update from VD to ZVH & rooted the S first, I'm just doing this for the hell of it, dont even need ths phone, but trying to flash it over is good learning. If u want any of these dlls or tools I can put em in my 4shared =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol