Wireless Hotspot

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
So I tried the wireless hotspot on my Xoom and it worked like a charm first try. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this with similar results?

I am kind of shocked that it wasn't locked down. I would have expected Verizon to try and milk some more money out of me. I do however fear that it won't last. Any opinions?

Reactions: bestbuystinks

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
If you are paying for the data plan you can use the hotspot at no extra charge.
But it will burn through your data plan faster.

Wow, is that standard practice for Verizon? It seems that wireless hotspot has always been an extra cost even on other capped data plans.

This is the way it should be. you have a set amount of data you can use and it doesn't matter what device you use it on. I say it should even be one step further. I should be able to buy Data and it doesn't expire until I use it all.

wg#AC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I think it will be like it was when we first got our X's I know when I got mine I could turn on the wifi hot spot all I wanted till the update to 2.2 then it was removed and when I tried to connect it said I needed to pay for it.

I am guessing just like everyone else here. But it would also not surprise me since we are limited on the amount of data we are using with tablets they are hoping you use it to much and go over so they get extra revenue from it.

tcranenj

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Run Xoom off phone hotspot

It costs $20 to get 1GB of data on the Xoom. I can get 2GB of data for $20 using my Droid X as a hotspot. Other than the battery drain on the phone, why is it a bad idea to get twice the data for the same price since I'll be carrying my cell phone with me anyways 99% of the time? I don't expect to use the 3G frequently, but it would be nice to have the handful of times a month I might need it.

oasis9389

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I would not call it theft when the app is downloadable in the marketplace. I wouldn't call it theft when HTC basically markets their phones as easily rootable, when android and carriers are making money of massive amounts of sales of these phones from people who buy them and want do just that.
root their phone and get the benefits. its what android is for.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I just called and the hotspot feature IS included at NO charge!!!

Great news for me. I can now drop that off my droidx and save $20.00/month.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I would not call it theft when the app is downloadable in the marketplace. I wouldn't call it theft when HTC basically markets their phones as easily rootable, when android and carriers are making money of massive amounts of sales of these phones from people who buy them and want do just that.
root their phone and get the benefits. its what android is for.

I would, and so would Verizon. Read your contract... You can do what you want, and probably won't get caught, but I still think its wrong.

oasis9389

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I just called and the hotspot feature IS included at NO charge!!!

Great news for me. I can now drop that off my droidx and save $20.00/month.

lol you do realize thats b/c everyone is on a limitte data plan, of course its included. you use it too much your gonna get owned on your bill.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
lol you do realize thats b/c everyone is on a limitte data plan, of course its included. you use it too much your gonna get owned on your bill.

I need it for support after hours, and I've never used more than about 100k in a month. Using this on my Xoom will be perfict! :)

oasis9389

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I need it for support after hours, and I've never used more than about 100k in a month. Using this on my Xoom will be perfict! :)

for you maybe but its def not "included free" they'll give you access to anything they can that will eat up data. its not free.

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
That's awesome !!! Can you please post details on how you setup the hotspot capability. Hopefully this continues to work after the 4g upgrade.

Thanks

Sure, its actually super easy since its built into Honeycomb.

Go to Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Tethering & Portable Hotspots

at that point you will see a choice for usb tethering, wifi tethering, or even bluetooth tethering. Dealer's choice!

I have only tried wifi tethering so i don't know if the others work.

bestbuystinks

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Sure, its actually super easy since its built into Honeycomb.

Go to Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Tethering & Portable Hotspots

at that point you will see a choice for usb tethering, wifi tethering, or even bluetooth tethering. Dealer's choice!

I have only tried wifi tethering so i don't know if the others work.

Cool. Thanks

Newton1221

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
The hotspot is included because the XOOM is looked at like a MiFi device (only data, no cellular) and Verizon issued a statement last week saying XOOM customers wouldn't have to adjust their plans when the device recieves its 4G upgrade, so it should work no matter what

this was actually one of my main draws to the XOOM because being grandfathered into a 4G MiFi plan sounds amazing

JZambrano

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I've tested the wifi hotspot a few times. The first time with my droid x it was flawless. The other time I tried it, i wantd to see how it handled multiple devices. I had an Ipad, 2 evos, and my droid x conectrd to it. We all went to the internet, including the xoom room and it worked fine for a few minutes, then one by one the devices would lose data connection for a few seconds. The all kind of cut in and out.

That's not really a complaint, just an fyi to anyone that connects multiple devices to the wifi.