Won't update or reset, what can I do?

WillTr

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
So for the past week or so I've been getting the notification that there is a software update to install on my Nexus. Whenever I attempt to install it the phone reboots but will not go past the initial "Google" on the screen. It just sits there frozen on the "Google" screen. I can not turn it off, I can't use it at all. I have to take the battery out and when I do so it reboots as normal and then begins telling me of the same update again. I read about similar issues and attempted to reset the phone and now its doing the exact same thing when I try to reset it. It goes to the "Google" screen and thats it, just freezes. What can I do here? I'm at a loss.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Try booting into recovery and do a factory reset from there. Hope this helps . (hold both volume and power at the same time.)

nbecker

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
My verizon galaxy nexus is rooted, but bootloader not unlocked.

It won't update to 4.0.4. It has tried 2 times. Each time, showed an android lying down with an ! sign. Maybe an error indicator? Then it reboots, and still running 4.0.2.

Any ideas?

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a bad download of the update file. Need to find a way to get rid of it and download the update again. Factory reset as stated above will do that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Man nobody is reading the forums at all. You can NOT be rooted and take the update. It will not work. Can you even root with out unlocking? Anyway flash stock try again.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If your boot loader is locked ( don't understand that if you are rooted) but youtube how to. There are step by steps. It took me 10minutes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

nbecker

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm good now. I went ahead, unlocked bootloader. Installed clockworkmod. Used rommanger to update.

I now have:

I515.10 V.FC04 / I515.FC05
IMM76K

I had avoided unlocking bootloader before because of warranty, but screw it.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
My verizon galaxy nexus is rooted, but bootloader not unlocked.

It won't update to 4.0.4. It has tried 2 times. Each time, showed an android lying down with an ! sign. Maybe an error indicator? Then it reboots, and still running 4.0.2.

Any ideas?

First, how do you root without unlocking? I know there's a one click app out there--is that how? I don't recommend that at all and have no experience with it myself (and presumably, 90% of the people out there had no idea you can do that lol).

Second, make sure you have a stock recovery, NOT CWM/TWRP/etc. This must be flashed via Wug's Toolkit, via fastboot, or some other interface that uses fastboot. You can also use something like Wug's to take you back to stock so you can take the update.

Man nobody is reading the forums at all. You can NOT be rooted and take the update. It will not work. Can you even root with out unlocking? Anyway flash stock try again.

In theory you should be able to, but it appears with each passing thread on this that you cannot, which is a bit mind blowing considering how OTA's were done in the past. Oh well. The big commonality, however, aside from root, is the fact that most folks have a custom recovery when you need the stock one.

Reactions: ejaymd11

anthonymcp

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
My Verizon Galaxy Nexus has the same problem where it doesn't get passed the initial Google logo. I haven't rooted it or unlocked it. Is there another option other than a factory reset? Aside from the apps I've installed, it's a stock phone.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
My Verizon Galaxy Nexus has the same problem where it doesn't get passed the initial Google logo. I haven't rooted it or unlocked it. Is there another option other than a factory reset? Aside from the apps I've installed, it's a stock phone.

Pull the battery, wait a minute. Reinsert, turn it on. Any luck?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPerl