Would opening a small tech accesory shop be profitable?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm currently trying to think of small business ideas. Anyway, I was wondering would owning a small store in a strip mall or actual mall that sells cell phone cases, tablet cases, batteries, chargers, headphones and such be profitable? When I lived in St. Louis there was an actual shop in the mall that sold cases, screen protectors, batteries, chargers and such and they had brand name stuff like Spigen, Otterbox and such (authorized retailer). Not the cheap 4 dollar type cases from Amazon or that overpriced garbage places like Cellairis sell. Their prices were also cheaper than the cell providers and best buy as well.

Also if not a store front what about selling them at a large flea market? We got a couple large flea markers in my area that you can rent space by the month for around $300.

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
The one big problem for actual malls is rent costs. You will be surprised at how high that rent is. You will need to sell hundreds of items a week just to pay the rent. Strip malls may be a bit cheaper but again you need volume sales to make a go of it.

In our area the people that sell that stuff use little carts in the isles of the big malls. That would be cheaper rent. But even they don't last long and probably go belly up.

Flea markets here only open certain days. Weekends mostly so 8 days a month can't pay the rent there either. They make money because they sell counterfeit stuff or buy stuff from business's that went broke (pennies on the dollar). In LA they sell stolen goods. Just ask any policeman for verification on that statement.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
The one big problem for actual malls is rent costs. You will be surprised at how high that rent is. You will need to sell hundreds of items a week just to pay the rent. Strip malls may be a bit cheaper but again you need volume sales to make a go of it.

In our area the people that sell that stuff use little carts in the isles of the big malls. That would be cheaper rent. But even they don't last long and probably go belly up.

Flea markets here only open certain days. Weekends mostly so 8 days a month can't pay the rent there either. They make money because they sell counterfeit stuff or buy stuff from business's that went broke (pennies on the dollar). In LA they sell stolen goods. Just ask any policeman for verification on that statement.

I always wonder how these shops in the mall and Kiosk as well are able to stay in business. Here in Port Charlotte the mall by me is dated and junky. Not very busy during the week and even weekends it isn't other than around Christmas or back to school. Even the fancy newer malls south of me are not very busy as well. I just wonder how these small shops are able to stay in business when a lot of times you don't see anyone in them. I would have to think it's Christmas and back to school that they get most of their business during the year from.

anon(9983233)

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
In order for a business like this to be profitable, would be if your had to the only items which no one else has.. thus forcing buyers to visit your shop only.. But because of competition and the amount of items on the market, be it good or junk.. there's no profit margin. Except something thats been over looked.. having on site repairs. Diversity is the key to survival.. but don't let over stock rule your business..

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like a good idea, but here is the catch; How many people buy their cases when they buy their new phone? Probably most of them. It seems too specific to thrive from a business POV.

Toaster has a good point, if you offered some other service that is difficult to find elsewhere. Repairs might be a good idea, but then conversely, there is the possibility of bad repairs, and the problems that arise from repairing phones. Take an iPhone....there can be problems that arise from replacing the screen alone.

MikeyBugs95

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Also taking into account websales. Everyone buys SOMETHING online now. You'd have to be able to undercut online prices which isn't possible unless you literally give stuff away or charge pennies and nickels. Unless you specialize in ultra-niche, selling products nobody or a very few people sell, I think it would be very difficult to make it and operate a thriving business. (I'm actually a small business owner myself but in a different field -
3D design for scale modelers)

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
It sounds like a good idea, but here is the catch; How many people buy their cases when they buy their new phone? Probably most of them. It seems too specific to thrive from a business POV.

Toaster has a good point, if you offered some other service that is difficult to find elsewhere. Repairs might be a good idea, but then conversely, there is the possibility of bad repairs, and the problems that arise from repairing phones. Take an iPhone....there can be problems that arise from replacing the screen alone.

Then again you have people like many of us on here who end up buying like 10 different cases for ONE phone lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomeoCatcher