Would you buy your Nexus again?

northbanker

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I've been contemplating a switch to the GN ever since it came out. Every time I get close to pulling the trigger I uncover something that gives me pause.

I wanted to ask all you folks who've owned it for months now if you would you buy it again, after knowing what it's like now?

I should add that I do NOT intend to root it or use a custom ROM. I'd want to just use the stock experience and add some apps to fill in some holes.

Finally, in my prior reading of various forums, there seemed to be a half dozen core concerns that people mostly agreed on:

(1) Weak Signal - is it often worse than other phones?
(2) Random Call-Muting (one-way voice) or Dropped Calls
(3) Speaker Too Quiet - does that include ringtones?
(4) Screen Slow to Rotate
(5) Poor Battery Life - but not unique to GN... and you can change settings/behavior to minimize
(6) False promise of quick/frequent OS updates because it's pure Google - true?

I'm also concerned about how well it will work with Exchange Server email, but I'm in the minority of GN users there.

I realize there's also a little debate as to whether 4.0.4 improved any of these issues.

Thanks for any feedback/advice!

anon(186320)

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't tell you about exchange, but yes, I would buy my GNex again. I never had any issue stock (which was for about a week), and for the last few months I've been running AOKP (currently b38) with the radios from 4.0.4. The main reason I bought my GNex was because I knew rooting would be a breeze. It has yet to let me down.

Sent from my Unicornified, LK'ed-out, 4.0.4-driven LTE GNex

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately no. I'm waiting on a replacement phone now. I went thru four of them, and could not find one that would find and hold a cell signal in the rural/semi rural area I live and travel in.

Other than the issue with calls I really liked everything else about the phone and wish I could have kept it.

A lot of people have no issues, so I'm thinking it just doesn't do well in areas with a weak signal. I think if you get one and live in an area with a strong signal you will like it as well if not better than any phone you have had.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: dj hidroid

McSlappy

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Simple yes the phone is awesome.

I get much better indoor reception with 3G then my Droid X. Where I work I couldn't even use the Wi-fi with the droid X without constant drops. Gnex has been awesome.

Have not experienced this.

I have had no volume problems with the speaker phone. But I do have good hearing.

About the same as my other phones.

(5) Poor Battery Life - but not unique to GN... and you can change settings/behavior to minimize

Very bad battery life however if you don't use Skype and 4g it's really pretty good tbh.

You will not get timely updates but that is a Verizon thing not a phone thing. If you are in to rooting then this phone gets very fast updates. If not then it's about like the other phones on Verizon.

NoOneHereYet

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Simple yes the phone is awesome.

I get much better indoor reception with 3G then my Droid X. Where I work I couldn't even use the Wi-fi with the droid X without constant drops. Gnex has been awesome.

Have not experienced this.

I have had no volume problems with the speaker phone. But I do have good hearing.

About the same as my other phones.

Very bad battery life however if you don't use Skype and 4g it's really pretty good tbh.

You will not get timely updates but that is a Verizon thing not a phone thing. If you are in to rooting then this phone gets very fast updates. If not then it's about like the other phones on Verizon.

As to # 6 you do get timely updates IF your are on a GOOGLE branded nexus, we received our 4.0.4 update more than a month before Verizon

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Sure I would. I haven't had any of the problems some people had, and this 2100 mAh battery really is an improvement (and what should have been shipped stock, but I digress)

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I was a lucky one and received a perfect unit from NewEgg wireless but I can't say I would buy it again if I was faced with the choice now. Not that my experience with the device has altered my opinion but the experience of others has made it clear that it is not far from possible to get stuck with a crap unit and have to swap it afew times before getting a good one. More so is the fact that other better devices are on the horizon and I am willing to wait till long after a release and reviews are posted to make a choice.

jamontoast1291

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

For starters I have a microsoft outlook exchange email and then another email (university email address) set up through the email app and they work fine.

1. No signal issues with my phone
2. Never had the random call muting
3. Speaker is loud enough for me. Maybe a little quieter than other phones, but not enough to ever cause me a problem
4. Screen rotation speed was addressed in 4.0.4 I believe. It was never really slow enough to make me not want the phone though
5. Battery life isn't any worse than my old incredible or droid
6. I don't really understand this one?

northbanker

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I would buy another one only if the issues have been fixed

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

So you had a Gnex, had problems and VZW swapped you for a RAZR MAXX?

Sure I would. I haven't had any of the problems some people had, and this 2100 mAh battery really is an improvement (and what should have been shipped stock, but I digress)

If I get one (and I've been inching towards it!) I'd definitely get the bigger battery day 1.

Thanks to EVERYONE else for your very helpful (and mostly positive) comments.

northbanker

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
6. I don't really understand this one?

I should've changed "promise" to "hope", as in "False hope of quicker updates because it's pure Google"

What I meant was that before it was released there was all this speculation that because it was pure Google with no Sense UI or whatever, that this phone would somehow get it's Android updates sooner than the other Android phones. But I gather the updates still have to go through VZW (I guess there are still VZW-specific things that they need to tweak & test) thus the usual delays in getting new OS downloads apply.

It's not really a big issue unless there are a lot of bugs that need to be fixed by updates, or unless Google is introducting must-have new features in 4.0.x or 4.1.

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
yes, by default. What else would I buy with ICS on VZ, big screen, etc? However, if I could have waited I'd have waited for the GSIII. It seems they really put a lot more thought into the design and hardware.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I would buy this in a heartbeat. I've enjoyed this phone since release day.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus by way of Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatJimmy