Xoom is is NICE!, But $800 plus aint NICE!

Marine0816

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I went to the Verizon store and played with the Xoom. And boy its a sweet device, but the price is way too much. I mean I can afford it, but just cause you can afford something doesn't mean you should always buy it. Like former NBA Star Scottie Pippen could offord a 5 million dollar Jet, but just do a Google search and see how that turned out.

While in the store, Verizon sales person were trying to hussle people into buying their costly data plans. He came to me and I told him that he probably did't make $900 every two weeks, so please...

The Xoom is a great device, just the price aint going to lead to a lot of followers.. Because Verizon still had plenty in stock.. i remeber when the Evo came out it was sold out for like a month in my area... Its sad cause I been eyeing this for a minute.. I guess its on to the Ipad 2..

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
and that iPad2 will be just as costly with same data requirement. and not as good, not as functionally customization use.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I went to the Verizon store and played with the Xoom. And boy its a sweet device, but the price is way too much. I mean I can afford it, but just cause you can afford something doesn't mean you should always buy it. Like former NBA Star Scottie Pippen could offord a 5 million dollar Jet, but just do a Google search and see how that turned out.

While in the store, Verizon sales person were trying to hussle people into buying their costly data plans. He came to me and I told him that he probably did't make $900 every two weeks, so please...

The Xoom is a great device, just the price aint going to lead to a lot of followers.. Because Verizon still had plenty in stock.. i remeber when the Evo came out it was sold out for like a month in my area... Its sad cause I been eyeing this for a minute.. I guess its on to the Ipad 2..

no offense, but if i made $900 every 2 weeks i feel like $800 for a device would be way too costly as well. but i can assure you it is more then worth it if you spend a lot of time on a laptop browsing, listening to music, or if you travel for work a lot.

For me personally, i would have spent $1000 on it no questions asked. I am not like any other ordinary user though. i work in IT so i am ALWAYS on the go and when i need to fix things i dont want to lug around my laptop to login and check the switch/router/firewall the xoom is perfect for it. and when i am at home the xoom is perfect for the device while hanging out on the couch while watching tv. No more hot ass laptop sitting on my lap heating up and killing my future children, ill let my girlfriend handle that.

Marine0816

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
and that iPad2 will be just as costly with same data requirement. and not as good, not as functionally customization use.

yeah their hightest tiered Ipads will be geared to the ballers, and their low end Ipad will be geared to peasants like me. Motorla is not giving this peasant a choice and not giving the date for the wifi version, while trying to sucker people in paying for and over priced item. I can buy a brand new PS3 and a Xbox 360 and pay less and have more excitement..

anon(42011)

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
If you can't afford it I understand but the Xoom is well priced. The subsidized wifi version will come later be patient. If you can't wait and want something else by all means go for it! But honestly this device is no joke! I've had it since it dropped and it is constantly impressing me... and it only gets better from here!! Flash and 4g will be like presents when they come!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site
@ holsum. I think he meant it in the sense that they were pushing data plans that they themselves couldn't afford

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I think when more google experience devices are released the prices will be a lot more competitive. There is def an early adopter fee, that goes for the tablet and data plans.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
@ holsum. I think he meant it in the sense that they were pushing data plans that they themselves couldn't afford

Yea I think I overlooked that. Either way $20 a month is.a little more then any modern day mmo, It comes to about 70? a day, not bad.

~holsum

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Actually there is no requirement when you buy a Ipad. You can just walk in and by it and, if you want the data plan; sign up right on the device. You can quite anytime you want also.

I love the Xoom but, the experience buying my Ipad was much better by a lot. I was at the Costco Kiosk for what seemed like well over a hour, while the rep was going through all the steps to get me signed up and activated.

I agree about the customization, that's what I love.

On the subject, the Xoom is a very expensive device but, I'm happy with it.

Last edited:

Newton1221

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
All things considered, its the first honeycomb device, its been on the market for 1 day, and its $70 more expensive than the "industry leading" equivalent

Apple does some fancy misleading, they make their wifi version with lower memory cheap so people can say oh well an ipad is only $499, but once they actually go to buy one they often spend much more in order to get the better value or more memory, my own sister used this against my mom, she talked my mom into getting her an ipad since it was $500 but then she actually bought a more expensive model because of the value and then the sales person talked them into a replacement plan of some kind, all said she paid over $700, but somehow thats looked at as acceptable

I feel like just because people ARENT being misled by Motorola they don't get it or something, yes Motorola is essentially forcing you to pay for they premium model but for Christs sake everything apple has a premium price tag whether its premium or not and nobody complains about that.

Sorry to rant a little at the end there but the apple brainwashing is beyond me, I just feel like people need to open their eyes, I just don't get it

Reactions: klamer

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site

And the plans for tablets are out of line across all providers.
I have no problem paying more for it but we really should be able to buy an amount of data and use it across any deivce we choose. Not have seperate plans for every device we own be it one or all of these: Cell phone, laptop, and tablet.

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Actually there is no requirement when you buy a Ipad. You can just walk in and by it and, if you want the data plan; sign up right on the device. You can quite anytime you want also.

I love the Xoom but, the experience buying my Ipad was much better by a lot. I was at the Costco Kiosk for what seemed like well over a hour, while the rep was going through all the steps to get me signed up and activated.

I agree about the customization, that's what I love.

On the subject, the Xoom is a very expensive device but, I'm happy with it.

I was under the impression that the requirement from Verizon was dropped as well if you go to Best Buy.

$799 with no required plan at BB
or
$599 with 2 year contract with verizon

So $70 for a tablet that is 3x the tablet of the ipad. Data plans will be comparable on both. I can't believe that people are even comparing this thing to an ipad. In my humble opinion the xoom is closer to my laptop than it is an ipad. ipad is the iphone's big brother, and thats it.

Newton1221

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I was under the impression that the requirement from Verizon was dropped as well if you go to Best Buy.

or

So $70 for a tablet that is 3x the tablet of the ipad. Data plans will be comparable on both. I can't believe that people are even comparing this thing to an ipad. In my humble opinion the xoom is closer to my laptop than it is an ipad. ipad is the iphone's big brother, and thats it.

^^^^^^^^Truth

Read that one more time people

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

or

I have to agree. When reveiwers compare this to ipad/ipad2, they are forgetting that iOS is not "optimized" for tablets. Honeycomb is optimized and hopefully works better for more than an entertaining device. Also, honeycomb is new and as more people use it, they will find ways to use it better and share their experience with others. (on AC of course!)
I played with the Xoom at Best buy for a short time, and I was impressed at the speed and ease of use. I tried my online schools website(which requires flash) and was able to log on and use the site. On my iPhone, I can't even log in.
I am now considering paying the extra price for the Xoom. I don't see the other tablets coming out having a lower pricepoint. The Samsung 7" Tab is still priced around $500 w/o contract.
BTW, thanks to everyone for their insights on their experience with their Xoom.

Last edited:

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I also believe the price for the Zoom is "Ridiculously crazy" even with a contract. A few months from now - there will be something different and then what - I'm not even worrying myself about it anymore, because I almost forget that I'm on Sprint.

MazoMark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

or

+1

I'm so tired of reviewers comparing price of a 16 gb wifi only iPad to Xoom. You hit the nail on the head brother.

heraldo

May 22, 2010
Visit site
And the plans for tablets are out of line across all providers.
I have no problem paying more for it but we really should be able to buy an amount of data and use it across any deivce we choose. Not have seperate plans for every device we own be it one or all of these: Cell phone, laptop, and tablet.

I like this idea a lot

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I also believe the price for the Zoom is "Ridiculously crazy" even with a contract. A few months from now - there will be something different and then what - I'm not even worrying myself about it anymore, because I almost forget that I'm on Sprint.

Easy to forget you're on Sprint, eh. :p

44thrilla

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I plan to have my xoom for a long time so I didn't mind spending a little more. Anytime I buy based on price I end up regretting it.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Very overpriced especially to not have apps ready so you can actually use it like a tablet. In a few months the price will be lowered OR there will be a better tablet like the iPad 2 or another Android one that will be cheaper and have the same functionality. People that say they are completely satisfied are probably telling the truth but there are some that need to make themselves feel like they made a good purchase. Right now, it's just an over hyped slab that is vastly overpriced. Just like the crappy Logitech Revue and Sony Google TV blu ray player. Overhyped, overpriced and underperforming.

Reactions: ChrisGonzales90

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tuanbinh9990