Xoom Shattered Glass

drose0

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
My poor Xoom had an unfortunate accident recently in which it ended up with a shattered glass. It still works, but obviously not very usable with broken glass on it.

My question here, is does anyone know what I need to replace it? I've found a video on how to replace it, I'm just not sure the part. What I've found online mostly refers to a digitizer, but before I shell out a load of $$ I want to make sure I'm getting the right part.

Thanks in advance!
:'(

JOEKC

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
When they did the Verizon 4G upgrade on my 1st Gen Xoom last fall they replaced the glass for free, even though I hadn't asked for it and mine wasn't scratched. So I wonder how expensive it could be?

drose0

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I found one other board online where someone said Motorola replaced theirs for $199. I've found what I think is the correct part for about $70, I'm just trying to double check that before I spend the money.

jomtiend

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
The glass is *extremely* fragile (moreso than on any device that I have purchased in the last 15 years), so there will be lots of these cases out there I suspect. If you are in the USA, you are fortunate, and get it repaired relatively cheaply. In Singapore, Motorola's official repair centre charge the exact same price as buying a new device last year (ie. more than it costs to buy a new one now).

Add that to the fact that we STILL can't get ICS in Asia and one can determine that, at least outside the USA, this product is an EPIC FAIL. Motorola developers: please do something good for the planet for once: commit mass suicide and donate your bodies for use as fertilizer.

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I think the glass is quite hard. I just had my Xoom fall off my desk, and unfortunately a corner of it dropped onto the roller on my chair. There is not a scratch on the glass, but the LCD has been broken, so I have an inch at the top of my that is not usable. That will cost $399 for Motorola to fix it.

Here is the info you need:

MZ604 MZ606 = WIFI only Xoom

MZ 601 MZ603 MZ605 = Wifi PLUS 3G/4G

I just ordered the LCD screen from a website (hopefully reputable) for $104, and it will take a few weeks to receive it, but it is better than spending 4 times that, when I could just go get a refurbished one directly from Motorola for cheaper than they say to repair it.