Xoom Wifi models upgradable to 3/4G???

nicholasdejohn

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I have a WIFI only model of the Motorola Xoom and I was wondering if at some point in time it would see an upgrade that would allow me to put a sim card into it so I ca have 3G or 4G service. I tried taking my sim card from my ATT HTC Inspire 4G and putting it into the Xoom and it didnt work.

Just looking to see if anyone thought this might be possible somewhere along the lines. I would love to put an ATT sim card into it.

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It might be possible if you shell out some serious cash for a mod. Otherwise no, it has no radios.

PensHockey

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Well we know they are putting in 4G in the 3G xoom. So could I get my hands on the 4G component and install on my wifi xoom? Or know somebody who works for verizon to install 4G? Just an idea, don't know if its even possible.

crazie.eddie

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well we know they are putting in 4G in the 3G xoom. So could I get my hands on the 4G component and install on my wifi xoom? Or know somebody who works for verizon to install 4G? Just an idea, don't know if its even possible.

That's because it already has the radio. Otherwise, do you think all these Wi-Fi devices would still be wi-fi if you can easily just "Flip a switch" to make them 4G?

ElConquistador1963

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
You apparently chose the WIFI only model to avoid paying for 3G service from Verizon. Why then would you want to modify a device that has no cellular connection to one that does where the only way to use that function is by paying for the service you did not want to pay for in the first place??? This question you raise makes no sense to me because WIFI is completely separate and incompatible with 3G or 4G. WIFI is a supplement ot those services when you are out of reach of a cellular network or want to supplement the data allowance from your cellular plan. The short answer is no, MOTO and VZW will not upgrade you for free since you did not pay for that with the purchase of the WIFI only model. If you want o modify it you may as well buy a new 3G or 4G model. It would be cheaper.:confused:

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a WIFI only model of the Motorola Xoom and I was wondering if at some point in time it would see an upgrade that would allow me to put a sim card into it so I ca have 3G or 4G service. I tried taking my sim card from my ATT HTC Inspire 4G and putting it into the Xoom and it didnt work.

Just looking to see if anyone thought this might be possible somewhere along the lines. I would love to put an ATT sim card into it.

I?m not sure if your +interested in paying for 4G service for use with your Xoom, or if you?re just looking for a way to get the service without having to pay for it. But, if you are serious about getting 4G service that your Xoom can access, what you will need to do is get a 4G ?Mobile Hotspot? device, along with a data plan.

Since you apparently have ATT service currently, check out this possibility:

AT&T Mobile Hotspot Elevate 4G
(AT&T Mobile Hotspot Elevate 4G - AT&T BusinessDirect? | Premier Business Center)

Alternatively, Verizon offers this model:

4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi? 4510L (Set Your Location)

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Only way I know is too find a broken screen Verizon or unlocked xoom and use its motherboard I found mine unlocked for about 80 with a shattered screen and digitizer worked out well

PensHockey

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
That's because it already has the radio. Otherwise, do you think all these Wi-Fi devices would still be wi-fi if you can easily just "Flip a switch" to make them 4G?

So what are they installing to make it 4G? Just a chip or a 4G radio? If its a 4G radio couldn't you install that 4G radio in your wifi xoom? I know Verizon would never install it for you but if you got your hands on the 4G radio could you install it?

ElConquistador1963

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
The 4G radio works in conjunction with the 3G radio. the 4G cannot exist without the 3G to piggyback off of. When not in a 4G area the 3G takes over. Why the willingness to modify and possibly ruin your Xoom? For the cost and effort to modify, you could probably get a 4G model cheaper and still have a warranty.:-$

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tellu