Xperia 5 - iii - Low Volume

priceless819

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a problem, it seems to be it started today, the volume for my notifications is extremely low and the volume level is all the way up. Also, this effects the volume of the ringer, BUT if I play music or watch a video, that is loud. I don't know if it's a hardware issue or software issue or a known issue, but it's my issue. The only app I updated was a dialer, so I uninstalled that, reset it, and still the same results. There has been no OS updates in a month or two, so I'm at a loss. Any guidance will be helpful.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You probably already checked, but can you confirm that the volume slider you turned up was the Ringtone/Notification one?

Also, does this happen on notifications from every single app, or only certain ones?

priceless819

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a custom ringtone, which has never been a problem. I have the volume slider all the way up as can be.
I am beginning to think it's a hardware issue, because it's "stereo speakers" and I think only one works. Also, in my texting app, Textra, you can send yourself a test text, so I do that, it starts low, goes up, but not loud loud, and then goes down again.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm using a custom ringtone, which has never been a problem. I have the volume slider all the way up as can be.
I am beginning to think it's a hardware issue, because it's "stereo speakers" and I think only one works. Also, in my texting app, Textra, you can send yourself a test text, so I do that, it starts low, goes up, but not loud loud, and then goes down again.
Can you try one of the built-in notification tone see if still a problem?

priceless819

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I did try Safe mode and it was the same results, and I did switch to a notification sound that came with the phone and it's still the same issue. 1 or 2 times it's really low, then gets louder, but then gets low again.
I did reach out to Sony Customer Service, long story short, they want me to do a factory reset and if it's not fixed, then contact them for further help, which will probably be a warranty claim.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I did try Safe mode and it was the same results, and I did switch to a notification sound that came with the phone and it's still the same issue. 1 or 2 times it's really low, then gets louder, but then gets low again.
I did reach out to Sony Customer Service, long story short, they want me to do a factory reset and if it's not fixed, then contact them for further help, which will probably be a warranty claim.
Keep us posted then

priceless819

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help. I downloaded an app called Audio Tester and it does what it says, tests the Audio. So you can test Left and right individually, the left is fine, the right is exactly what I am experiencing with the notifications, going, going, gone. So the phone will need to be repaired / replaced. The only question is this, I bought it from Amazon, do I return it, because it's still eligible and get a new one or do I go through the process of a warranty claim through Sony?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd go through Amazon. Warranty service might mean that they try to fix the problem, rather than give you a new replacement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38