Xperia Z Updates and Backups...Help Please!

NRJD

May 20, 2013
Visit site
So I'm up here in Canada with my Xperia Z and I cannot speak enough praise about this phone. Prior to getting the phone, I was never able to use the phone firsthand because every local Bell store I went to had problems. One didn't even have one on display, another had one you could only freely dunk in water (from behind a closed glass case), and another had not paid attention to the limitations of the phone's water-resistance and left it underwater overnight. However, I was assured that the phone would be shipping with Android 4.2.2 which made sense because it has already been released for the rest of the world's Xperia Zs. When I got the phone, however, I went to check it out and found I'm still running 4.1.2 and no update is available. I know this is by no means a crippling problem, but I was really looking forward to having it.

And so, this brings me to my first question(s?): Has anyone heard any word of 4.2.2 or otherwise going out to Canadian Xperia Zs? If not, would it be worth it to manually update to 4.2.2? And if so, what would be the best way to go about doing this?

My other question is about backing up my phone. I'm using the Sony PC Companion program to help me manage various things on my phone, but the backup function doesn't seem to be working. Whenever I try to backup my phone, it gets most of the way through the process but then says there was an error and was unable to backup the phone. It recommends I restart the phone and try again, which I have done several times now. Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

shinkaide

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
From what I understand (and from several articles and forum posts I've read), update roll outs depends on what part of the world you're in, as well as your carrier. I started out with a mid-range Xperia Sola, shipped with 2.2, and I eventually got its 4.0 update several months after Sony officially released it. I'm now on an Xperia Z with 4.2.2 (I'm from the Philippines); I think I got it about 3 or 4 months after the update was announced. The wait can sometimes be bothersome - been there, done that. The good news is, the Z is a high-end model, so it remains high on Sony's list of priorities and updates. Just hang tight, you should eventually get a notification when it rolls out in your region.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raykv23