Xperia Z3 Still Waterproof?

yourignhere

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Hey all, I have a burning question that's been at the back of my mind for the past day. Long story short, I was using the phone regularly, when somebody decided to surprise me and bump into me from behind, making my drop my phone. There's no major damage, but the metal frame near the camera was slightly bent, so that it now ever so slightly separated from the glass back. I know there is a rubber coating around the inside, and was wondering if the phone is still waterproof or resistant. It doesn't seem like it would be that big a deal, as the seal is still there, just that the frame and back has separated just slightly. Thanks for any answers!

TheUnknownUser

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I honestly don't know I'll take a guess and say no just to be safe. I think the best bet would be ask Sony and see what they say. Any chance you have insurance just in case it isn't?

Posted via the Android Central App

Wollombi

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, you will probably have to contact Sony to find out, or take a risk (expensive, if it doesn't pan out) and dunk the phone. I would choose to call Sony, personally.

I rarely buy extra warranties and/or accidental damage stuff, but in the case of phones, I make the exception. If you did, too, you're golden and can get it fixed/replaced.

If you get out of this unscathed, or get a fix/replacement, it might be a good idea to consider a good case that will protect it.

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey all, I have a burning question that's been at the back of my mind for the past day. Long story short, I was using the phone regularly, when somebody decided to surprise me and bump into me from behind, making my drop my phone. There's no major damage, but the metal frame near the camera was slightly bent, so that it now ever so slightly separated from the glass back. I know there is a rubber coating around the inside, and was wondering if the phone is still waterproof or resistant. It doesn't seem like it would be that big a deal, as the seal is still there, just that the frame and back has separated just slightly. Thanks for any answers!

There is a test you could try: call *#*#7378423#*#*, then go to service test and pressure sensor. If the pressure does not go up when you press the screen it's not waterproof. If the pressure does rise it might still be waterproof (although I wouldn't be 100% with a defect like yours).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No phone made yet is waterproof, they're water resistant. (Take any phone down to 100 feet and you have a box of wet electronic junk.)

Two plastic zipper sandwich bags are a lot cheaper than making a phone water resistant, and they make it truly waterproof down to about 20-30 feet. (Leave the bags filled with air and they'll make most phones buoyant, so they're sink-proof too.) Salt water, mud, industrial waste - the bags don't care. Rinse the outer one off, let it dry and throw it out. (And you can use the phone while it's in the bags.) Might not look pretty, but when that $700 phone falls overboard in 300 feet of water and everyone gasps - and you just say "oops", slowly lean over and retrieve your phone - everyone's going to want that kind of "protection" and ask where you got the bags. (Don't tell them - just sell them bags for 2/$10. Stupidity should cost.)

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
No phone made yet is waterproof, they're water resistant. (Take any phone down to 100 feet and you have a box of wet electronic junk.)

Two plastic zipper sandwich bags are a lot cheaper than making a phone water resistant, and they make it truly waterproof down to about 20-30 feet. (Leave the bags filled with air and they'll make most phones buoyant, so they're sink-proof too.) Salt water, mud, industrial waste - the bags don't care. Rinse the outer one off, let it dry and throw it out. (And you can use the phone while it's in the bags.) Might not look pretty, but when that $700 phone falls overboard in 300 feet of water and everyone gasps - and you just say "oops", slowly lean over and retrieve your phone - everyone's going to want that kind of "protection" and ask where you got the bags. (Don't tell them - just sell them bags for 2/$10. Stupidity should cost.)

You know what he meant tho😜 no phone you be under such a presure anyway by going that deep. The Z3 can be under water without dying on you😉

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2