Xperia ZL: Help explain the updates....

Sinabu

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok so all my previous phones I've purchased have been Branded AT&T phones from either att.com or from a retail store. When an updated rolled out It was Maker (Apple, Nokia Etc) Pushed it to AT&T for approval once approved we got an OTA Update.

I purchased my Xperia ZL directly from sony.com and I am using it on AT&T.. I see that the 4.3 update was supposed to be out and now there is mention of a new firmware rolling out to fix a few things in 4.3 etc but I'm still on 4.2.2.

Who am I waiting on for the update? Sony or AT&T. Since AT&T doesn't sell or sold this phone in the past am I just stuck because they don't get the updates to test/approve on their network?

The updater app tells me there is nothing and when I plug it up into the PC using Sony's software it just says im up to date.

Am I just impatient or am I missing something here?

Xperial ZL (U.S) On AT&T purchased unbranded from Sony.com

Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Help explain the updates....

Ok so all my previous phones I've purchased have been Branded AT&T phones from either att.com or from a retail store. When an updated rolled out It was Maker (Apple, Nokia Etc) Pushed it to AT&T for approval once approved we got an OTA Update.

I purchased my Xperia ZL directly from sony.com and I am using it on AT&T.. I see that the 4.3 update was supposed to be out and now there is mention of a new firmware rolling out to fix a few things in 4.3 etc but I'm still on 4.2.2.

Who am I waiting on for the update? Sony or AT&T. Since AT&T doesn't sell or sold this phone in the past am I just stuck because they don't get the updates to test/approve on their network?

The updater app tells me there is nothing and when I plug it up into the PC using Sony's software it just says im up to date.

Am I just impatient or am I missing something here?

Xperial ZL (U.S) On AT&T purchased unbranded from Sony.com

Thanks! :)

In the carrier case, the OEM sends it to the carrier for approval. When the carrier approves the update, the OEM pushes the update to your device (or makes it available via pull, the manual Check For Updates function).

In the direct from Sony case, the carrier is not involved at all.

Sinabu

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

Ok so I guess I am just waiting on Sony then at this point. I just saw the article about a new firmware that is releasing this week to fix some issues in 4.3 when from what I gather alot of folks dont even have the 4.3 update yet. That just doesn't make much sense I suppose. Sony said that the 4.3 was supposed to be out in what late December for the ZL and I still don't have anything.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Ok so I guess I am just waiting on Sony then at this point. I just saw the article about a new firmware that is releasing this week to fix some issues in 4.3 when from what I gather alot of folks dont even have the 4.3 update yet. That just doesn't make much sense I suppose. Sony said that the 4.3 was supposed to be out in what late December for the ZL and I still don't have anything.

On Jelly Bean 4.3 & Kit Kat 4.4… | Blog Portal - Sony Smartphones

Sinabu

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

Yes that is a lot of the same articles from November /December.

I finally checked last night on the PC Companion software and the update to 4.3 finally showed up. That was a very slow roll out.

jeff zen

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I do received notification to update my ZL with latest JB4.3 via OTA
1st try failed to install as my ZL already root.. Full unroot via SuperSU n bootloader still locked (never unlocked)
2nd try update OTA via wifi n still failed to install..
Am I the only one facing this problem?
Pls assist how can I update my ZL OTA..
Not yet try update my ZL via PC Companion..

TQ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodweather2024