Yesterday I was sold on the GS3. Today I ordered an Evo?

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I've been on the fence about this for months. Galaxy vs. evo. Stick with sprint or leave (I've been getting pretty miserable speeds and I'll soon be eligible for a decent discount with Verizon). I was 75% sold on the GS3.

No one in town has an Evo 4GLTE so I go to AT&T to try out a OneX. Their LTE is pulling 12mbps down (in comparison, my Epic4G got a whopping 28 kbps...yes...28. GNex across the street at verizon was getting 4-5mbps on 4G and 1mpbs on 3G). The screen was gorgeous. I couldn't tell if I liked it more than the GNexus screen I saw at Verizon, but it was still beautiful. I actually loved sense. In the past I thought it was heavy, clunky, and outdated looking. This, however, was really pleasant and welcoming. It didn't follow the android design theme very well, but it felt very cozy. Like one big consistent experience. Apps looked similar, widgets, etc. Even though I like the little blue glow found in stock android when scrolling through lists, the expanding menus in sense felt nice anyway. The multitasking menu was a painful departure, but meh, that'll get fixed in a rom eventually.

I called up bestbuy, found out there were "3" Evo's available in their online inventory up for grabs, and I went over there and ordered one.

I'm still not "sold" because I like the hardware of the GS3 more...I mean the Evo's design (the back mainly) is incredible and I love it, but the biggest selling point for me is that it feels different than the android experience I'm used to. I have a GalaxyS1 device, and I love samsung's hardware: the screen, the fluidity, camera, etc, but nothing feels cohesive... I feel like I have to find a different launcher, a different SMS app, a different weather app, a different widget app, a different...everything. And while all of those apps work very well, they never work perfectly "together", and that's something that just felt different (maybe more apple-like) with Sense4. It had a unifying theme and that was comforting.

I'll get the phone in a day or two, and then I can figure out if I want to keep it or not, but I planned it so my 14 days will end right after the GS3 comes out, so I can make final decisions after comparing them (including if I want to jump ship to Verizon). I'm excited to see the Evo though :)

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I think you will be very happy. I personally don't like the Sammy builds (though none of us have touched the SG3 yet), but that is subjective. Lots of prole love the Samsung devices. I love the HTC build, though, and I am a fan of Sense. If you like the manufacturer skins, I really believe that Sense is, hands-down, the best out there. And Sense 4.0 is so smooth on this device and very cohesive. And make sure to post here abut how much you love the kickstand, which you will.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I was in this situation yesterday. I was going to return my EVO because I didn't like the low light camera performance. But I realized that out of all the features: the screen, beats audio, build quality, design, battery life, etc. the only thing I could fault was 1 aspect of the camera. That was all the proof I needed for keeping my EVO. But good luck with whatever choice you make :)

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

ImNoPrince

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Well I would hold off if your set on the 14day return window. Looks like Apple is complaining about a few features of the S3 and looking to stop them from entering the USA.

But yea I was on the fence as well , with me having the Evo and Wife the Epic I just like the Build of the HTCs better .

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Isn't the return window 30 days for phones at Best Buy?

Yep, 30 days is what they told me for the phone at least. If I were to want to revert my contract with sprint then it's only 14 (so if I decide that I want to jump ship to Verizon).

Really is it 45 for rewardzone? I just signed up for that today. That's certainly good to know!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nunya