YouTube Not Working

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
YouTube stopped working after Android January 2024 update on Pixel 8 Pro Unlocked. When I launch the app the logo appears and it freezes. I've tried force stop and rebooting but it keeps freezing (the app, not the phone). When I roll back to previous version, it works. Anyone have this issue or even better ... a fix?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You mentioned force stopping it, but did you also clear the app cache/data for YouTube first?

CurtNash

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
*** FIXED*** Pixel Fold
**Edited update to post at the end**

After an hour of searching and watching a few useless videos I realized the problem. I tried all the common sense things, clearing the cache, cleaning the storage and restarting the phone with no fix. Even made sure the phone was up to date. During all that I went to the Google Play store and searched YouTube and it had the "Open" button instead of update so I assumed it was up to date. I WAS WRONG. I kept searching and repeating the processes with no luck. After reading some of your post I decided to go back to the play store and search YouTube again. It popped up, same as last time but this time I tapped the YouTube logo, not the open button. When I did that it took me to the details and there it was...... UPDATE... Apparently it is only there when you click on the app in play store.... I also learned, for future reference, the only place on the Pixel you can uninstall is in the play store. Hope this helps someone.

***Update to post***
When you open YouTube for the first time after this, it will automatically turn on smart downloads.... So make sure to disable this if you don't want it because I saw it was trying to download 10 + videos.

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Thanks for the tip, although that behavior is a little odd. The Play Store should automatically check if there are updates, and notify you (or automatically update if that's how it's set). I recall that this kind of thing used to happen on older devices, but I haven't experienced it on Pixels the last few generations. It's a good reminder, though!

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
*** FIXED*** Pixel Fold
**Edited update to post at the end**

After an hour of searching and watching a few useless videos I realized the problem. I tried all the common sense things, clearing the cache, cleaning the storage and restarting the phone with no fix. Even made sure the phone was up to date. During all that I went to the Google Play store and searched YouTube and it had the "Open" button instead of update so I assumed it was up to date. I WAS WRONG. I kept searching and repeating the processes with no luck. After reading some of your post I decided to go back to the play store and search YouTube again. It popped up, same as last time but this time I tapped the YouTube logo, not the open button. When I did that it took me to the details and there it was...... UPDATE... Apparently it is only there when you click on the app in play store.... I also learned, for future reference, the only place on the Pixel you can uninstall is in the play store. Hope this helps someone.

***Update to post***
When you open YouTube for the first time after this, it will automatically turn on smart downloads.... So make sure to disable this if you don't want it because I saw it was trying to download 10 + videos.
Thank You!!!! Followed your steps and now it's working flawlessly. Issued resolved.