Yup, killed my phone

ajnevares

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
First attempt at rooting and after a dozen attempts on Wug's toolkit, I finally got it rooted! Downloaded the ROM manager and downloaded the latest 'codename android' ROM. It did not install, and has been stuck on the animation screen for the last hour. Pulled the battery after about 20 min and went back into the bootloader, it just says 'downloading do not turn off target'. I hit the volume up/down key but it stays on START, i can only hit the power key and go back to the animation/splash screen which just goes on forever.

I know this has been reported several times but what makes my dilemma unique is I am unable to get back into the WUG toolkit I downloaded, it just does not open so now I cannot find a link to download the tool again and try to reload the stock ROM.

I knew I should have stayed away from rooting but heard how the custom ROM's make the device so much more enjoyable.

So do I just toss this phone and chalk it up as a loss or is there something simple I can do to restore it?

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Not so fast citizen! For some reason this happens about 2 days into JB ports for me.

RootzWiki - Get your GNex back to Stock

That link has the guide to get your phone up and running again. Now a days a phone isnt toast unless it just wont turn on anymore. If you have the Android SDK installed you can push the files needed to your phone that will get you up and running again. Once you get that installed its a piece of cake.

There is a great Sticky on this forum as well that Dmmarck put together that will help much in the same way:

Factory Images for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Try that and let me know...

Last edited:

lebeauc

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
When you try to get into the bootloader, are you holding Volume UP & Down, or just down? If you just hold Volume Down and boot up, it boots in some other recovery mode. Hold both Up and Down and then select Recovery Mode.

The link to re-download Wug's is in the sticky at the top of this forum.

It doesn't sound like you killed your phone, just maybe a bad Rom Flash. You should be able to get it working again, once you get back into Wug's.

Reactions: ajnevares

ajnevares

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Everyone! Very much appreciated, times a million! I was able to get back to the home screen and use the phone after performing the recovery.

It appears to still be unlocked and rooted, and I am not seeing any Google apps (Play Store, Maps, Gmail etc) just the basic apps. So do I download the Play Store and Gmail myself or download a ROM from a website thru my phone?

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Everyone! Very much appreciated, times a million! I was able to get back to the home screen and use the phone after performing the recovery.

It appears to still be unlocked and rooted, and I am not seeing any Google apps (Play Store, Maps, Gmail etc) just the basic apps. So do I download the Play Store and Gmail myself or download a ROM from a website thru my phone?

Sounds like your ROM has a separate GAPPS file that needed to be flashed

I would recommend clearing everything and re-flashing the ROM and GAPPS

CA1NE

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Don't give up on the art of rooting and flashing now you've just begun :D You're just entering the fun part now

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ajnevares

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Don't give up on the art of rooting and flashing now you've just begun :D You're just entering the fun part now

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Agreed! With the help of everyone here and the guides posted, I am now running 4.1.1 and couldn't be happier. Thanks once again to everyone who helped and those who provided all the helpful resources, very much appreciated!!!!

ajnevares

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I think that was the first lesson I learned. I permanently flashed CWM and flash ROMs through it. I am really having fun with it now that I have an idea what I'm doing.

Lesson definitely learned! Last night was my first attempt at rooting and freaked out when my phone was in an animation loop (thanks again to everyone who helped me out) Needless to say I am new to this, still learning the terminology and how to follow the guides provided but I am becoming much more comfortable with flashing (that sounded naughty) so I ditched the ROM manager and happily running the Bugless Beast JB ROM. Started over after initially using the ROM manager to flash BB, uninstalled the ROM manager and just downloaded from my phone and installed thru recovery (that's the manual way, correct?)

After about an hour of setup and use, I kicked myself wondering why I didn't do this sooner! :)

Reactions: clarker07

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Lesson definitely learned! Last night was my first attempt at rooting and freaked out when my phone was in an animation loop (thanks again to everyone who helped me out) Needless to say I am new to this, still learning the terminology and how to follow the guides provided but I am becoming much more comfortable with flashing (that sounded naughty) so I ditched the ROM manager and happily running the Bugless Beast JB ROM. Started over after initially using the ROM manager to flash BB, uninstalled the ROM manager and just downloaded from my phone and installed thru recovery (that's the manual way, correct?)

After about an hour of setup and use, I kicked myself wondering why I didn't do this sooner! :)

You get a gold star :)
(and yes, that's the right way to do things)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ILTAFGICHKI