ZenPad 8 (z580ca) app crashes, how can I fix this?

rangerover61

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
ZenPad 8 (z580ca) app crashes

I just received an ASUS ZenPad z580ca yesterday from Amazon. It was a Warehouse Deal model in "pristine" packaging, as they described. Probably one returned after a few days. This is my second "Warehouse Deal" unit. The first one had screen touch issues. Would have purchased a new unit, but they raised the price $50 back to $299. The one I purchased was $224.

I am having app crashes. Especially the news apps like USA Today. Also the Android Central app crashes. Have uninstalled and reinstalled the affected apps with little change.

I did notice when I set up the tablet with my Google login, it was showing a stray device named Mackbook. Yet it indicated it was the tablet's name. Both the ASUS ZenPad and Mackbook listings appeared to be the same device. The Mackbook had a "This Device" subtitle. I do not have a Mackbook, in fact I have never owned an Apple product. I immediately changed my Google account login password and added the 2 step login feature. The Mackbook went away.

Should I reset my tablet and start over? Could the Mackbook be a ghost device from the previous user? It had been factory reset when I received it.

Or am I just having issues that are normal with Android 5.0? I dont have the issues with my Droid Turbo or my Kindle Fire HDX 7.

Thanks

I talked to my internet provider after writing this post. They said that the IP address for the Mac device that shows on my Google account is my DSL modem. I was unaware that this would be accessible by Google. In any event, it appears as a registered device.

Last edited:

dana b

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I have the odd app that crashes on my Zenpad, that never ever crashed on my Nexus 7. Tumblr is a particularly bad offender, just closing randomly. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling this one as well, no help. The Play store has crashed a time or two on me, as well.

Otherwise, this tablet works perfectly for me though.

rangerover61

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I really liked this tablet. Great specs on the RAM and storage. The processor was fast. Except the app crashes were annoying. Also the wifi was weak, along with the speakers were under powered. Not sure if the issues were related to the refurbished unit, or was typical. Sent it back to Amazon for refund. Purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 for double the money. Great in every way. Now I am asking myself if I am crazy for spending the extra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol