Zenphone 2 As Media Player

ThreeChordMonte

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Can I activate the Zenphone 2 without a SIM card and use it as a WiFi only media player? If I add the Lexar SDXC 128gb card to it, the 64gb Zen would have more storage than my iPod Classic. And this would be a great alternative (using Bluetooth) for use in my GMC Yukon which has serious issues with iPods.

Posted via the Android Central App

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes, you should be able to do this with no problems. You'll basically have a tablet nano. You're phone may show a consistent notification that you don't have a SIM card but should work fine on WiFi or as an offline media player.

from the Elegance

Andruri

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Agreed. I used my Zenphone as a wifi only device for a few days - making voip calls, watching youtube videos, using google maps, email, etc; before installing a SIM.

ThreeChordMonte

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I got the Zen Phone 2 64GB over the weekend and I couldn't be happier! The setup without a SIM card was even easier than a normal phone.

The reason I'm went this route is I have a 2015 GMC Yukon and it doesn't support my iPod Classic. I couldn't switch to an iPod Touch because my music library is too big for that.

After a couple software updates, I was able to setup all my music using a 128GB SDXC card from Lexar. It's an incredibly fast and relatively inexpensive card. It's awesome that the ZP supports it even though the specs say only up to 64 is supported.

After a ton of testing with different players, I decided that Poweramp was my best option. I have a library of about 20,000 songs but it was still very quick to scan through it. I love how many options Poweramp has. And its playback via Bluetooth is exceptional. I can't recommend it enough. Go out and buy it!

The ZP is so fast! I wish that Verizon could support it. I use a Droid Turbo right now but, as much as I love it, the ZP is better (except for battery life). Now if Asus would develop and dedicated Android media player...

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01