zooming the camera

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
on my old note, the volume up button provided a telephoto, up to 8x normal.

On the LG, you can click the icon for wide angle or normal. But I don't see anything in between. I really love the wide angle--which is probably more important for what I like to do, but is there way to go 2x, 3x, etc.?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
yeah, I can't remember if you can set the volume rocker to zoom or not (I believe it's the default action) but you can also pinch in/out into the image to zoom in our out. Remember that the zoom on the Note and on the V20 is digital, not optical, so it's not ideal the closest you get (you're basically blowing up the original picture and letting the software soften up the edges).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I prefer taking the picture with the volume buttons. Give you a lot more stability than tapping the screen, especially for low-light shots where movement affects the outcome.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
yeah, I can't remember if you can set the volume rocker to zoom or not (I believe it's the default action) but you can also pinch in/out into the image to zoom in our out. Remember that the zoom on the Note and on the V20 is digital, not optical, so it's not ideal the closest you get (you're basically blowing up the original picture and letting the software soften up the edges).

Pinching works, thanks. Yes, digital zooms are not always the best solution and create a lot of noise, but in a pinch....no pun intended. ;)

I also saw that once you pinch a little, then you can use the on-screen slider. THe slider seems to have better results than just pinching.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

It's the same as cropping after the fact

Brjlk

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
on my old note, the volume up button provided a telephoto, up to 8x normal.

On the LG, you can click the icon for wide angle or normal. But I don't see anything in between. I really love the wide angle--which is probably more important for what I like to do, but is there way to go 2x, 3x, etc.?

I never thought about zooming with the wide angle lens. But I think it is a good idea to zoom in a bit to crop off the distorted extremities, especially if they are straight lines. The distorted part is only a small portion of the screen & I don't think we will lose a lot of the resolution.
The lens is a very wide & there won't be a big loss of field of view.

Brjlk

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
I also saw that once you pinch a little, then you can use the on-screen slider. THe slider seems to have better results than just pinching.
If you move the slider from left to right or vice versa, the transition from wide to normal lens is smooth.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly what happens. If you set it to save pics in RAW format as well, you'll notice the RAW file is always the full sensor image even if you were zoomed in. So if you don't like the "zoomed in" jpeg, you can still edit and use the RAW file from the same shot.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

I wouldn't say that. You're getting different levels of clarity, perspective, noise, shutter speeds and close-ups with a zoom, even if the area of the picture is the same as it is after a crop. Taking a wide angle and cropping after the fact is very different in how the ultimate photo looks. One of the things I really love hi res for is the ability to crop a wide angle shot and not lose clarity when the small, cropped portion becomes the whole picture.

I never thought about zooming with the wide angle lens. But I think it is a good idea to zoom in a bit to crop off the distorted extremities, especially if they are straight lines. The distorted part is only a small portion of the screen & I don't think we will lose a lot of the resolution.

It's a fish eye at times---you're basically eliminating that extreme wide and making it more of a normal wide angle.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't say that. You're getting different levels of clarity, perspective, noise, shutter speeds and close-ups with a zoom, even if the area of the picture is the same as it is after a crop. Taking a wide angle and cropping after the fact is very different in how the ultimate photo looks. One of the things I really love hi res for is the ability to crop a wide angle shot and not lose clarity when the small, cropped portion becomes the whole picture.

Rarely true.... Possibly in extreme cases when you go from very wide to very close

Brjlk

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Sometimes the fish eye distortion is fun.
When I need straight lines, I zoom in a bit & I am left with a normal wide angle lens, which is enough for me.
If there are no straight lines in the view finder, I go for the full ultra wide image.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

I don't think you can zoom in on the wide angle.. Doesn't it just automatically go to the normal lens and continue going in on that one?

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I prefer taking the picture with the volume buttons. Give you a lot more stability than tapping the screen, especially for low-light shots where movement affects the outcome.
I'm with you and I usually use the volume rocker to trigger the shutter but I read some article a while back about how to take better photos with your cell phone and the author said to use the onscreen shutter button because it creates less shaking of the phone. I personally have almost never found that the case, and if it was don't you think that camera companies would make it so there was a touch sensitive shutter button where your thumb could tap it?!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you and I usually use the volume rocker to trigger the shutter but I read some article a while back about how to take better photos with your cell phone and the author said to use the onscreen shutter button because it creates less shaking of the phone. I personally have almost never found that the case, and if it was don't you think that camera companies would make it so there was a touch sensitive shutter button where your thumb could tap it?!
I can see the point of that article. You can barely graze the on screen button to get the picture. Pressing the volume rocker would take more pressure and thus risk you tweaking the phone during the press. I doubt it'll matter to the average person, though.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I just tried several shots both ways and no difference. Could be because I was thinking about it and as a result I was more careful.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira