News Zuckerberg: Quest 3 is a 'better product, period' than Vision Pro, hints at where Quest 4 will go

d0x360

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Oculus... Meta ... Needs to get OLED panels in their too or instead of eye tracking.

The reason is simple.. low persistence. OLED especially compared to LCD can essentially be in an instant state of on and off per pixel and can also essentially change pixel color instantly. This means things like blur (depending on panel quality and refresh rate of course) can effectively be eliminated along with light bloom and more importantly the inability of LCD to display black which means the vast majority of vr games are designed around LCD so they never go true dark

I remember switching from the original rift to the rift s and I had started Vader immortal in between and when I went to play on the new rift s I couldn't see a damn thing because it's an extremely dark game and was designed originally around the rift. It became impossible to play on the S then for the quest version they changed the lighting enough so people could actually play it but at the same time that changes the games atmosphere and takes away from it.

So 2 very simple but extremely beneficial reasons to change to OLED right there and that's not to mention the possibilities with better color and HDR but just the lower persistence alone eliminates the pixel blur VR games generally have. I haven't used the vision pro so I don't know why blur would be an issue but it could be software based because apple doesn't seem like they would use cheap panels .. hell psvr2 has good enough OLED panels that blur isn't an issue.

To see what I mean on a monitor compare a 400hz OLED vs an LCD that's even significantly higher refresh rate and the OLED will be better because of the accuracy and ability to perceive that motion from the high refresh significantly better. I've seen people who said above 240hz they can't see a difference then they tested an OLED and at every refresh rate all the way from 30z and up they could tell it was higher and preferred 120hz OLED to 240hz LCD and as refresh went up the margin of improvement to OLED quality only increases while LCD is diminishing returns

WhatUSay

Jan 6, 2024
Visit site
Only issue with his comments about it being better is this is Apple's first attempt and Meta's 3rd. By the time the Vision Pro hits its 3rd version is will completely dominate anything Meta will have.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter