Windshield mount?

F350-6

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I have the extended battery with a Seidio convert case on it. Does anyone know of a windshield mount I could use that will hold the phone in that case? Preferably one that will leave the charging port accessible.

I've tried searching here and have bought a couple of "universal" fit products in the past that failed miserably. Hopefully someone knows of something I haven't found.

F350-6

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. I actually need one for the extended battery, but following the link to their site, it appears they might have one.

Sorry for the delayed response. My laptop decided to crash (again) and I had to mail it back to Toshiba (again) for a warranty replacement of the HDD (again).

F350-6

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the link to the Craigsdocks. With the rough roads I travel, I think I'll try the slipgrip first. The last link did bring up an interesting point about putting it in dock mode if I use the phone as a GPS. Guess I need to do some more research on apps or the best way to use the phone as a GPS and keep it awake while I'm driving.

F350-6

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
So I ordered the slipgrip the night of the 21st. I got an email confirmation stating I would receive an email once they processed the order and another email when they shipped the order. I got an email the following day stating they had processed the order. Then I got an email yesterday stating the order had shipped, then a few minutes later, the package actually arrived.

I spent a few extra $$ on the HD mount hoping it would be a little more sturdy than some of the windshield phone mounts I've seen. All I can say is Holy Cow. This thing puts any GPS windshield mount to shame. Suction cup and support arm is way oversized and I'm not the least bit worried about the phone falling off the window. The fit is excellent and allows a charge cord to be hooked up with the phone in the holder.

The only down sides I have noticed so far is the bottom left corner of the keypad is a little difficult to type in if your fat fingered like me. The look is a little on the rough side, but overall I'm extremely pleased with the purchase.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link to the Craigsdocks. With the rough roads I travel, I think I'll try the slipgrip first. The last link did bring up an interesting point about putting it in dock mode if I use the phone as a GPS. Guess I need to do some more research on apps or the best way to use the phone as a GPS and keep it awake while I'm driving.

My phone doesn't go into sleep mode if I'm using GPS. I've never had my phone in dock mode either. I don't think it should be going to sleep, might have something wrong there.

F350-6

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
My phone doesn't go into sleep mode if I'm using GPS. I've never had my phone in dock mode either. I don't think it should be going to sleep, might have something wrong there.

What GPS are you using? I played around with google maps trying to watch the traffic layer and the screen would dim on me, even when I pushed the button to keep the screen centered around my current location. I did notice that the map feature seems to be a big hog of battery power, so I ran a cable up my A-pillar and it comes out right next to my windshield mount. I downloaded an app called screen on that keeps the screen on when it's plugged in and have been playing around with google navigator.

But I'm open for any advice or suggestions.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I have a number of GPS apps. Most of them have a setting that will keep the screen on when they are running. Some of them, like Google Maps, don't keep the screen alive.
But mainly, I rely on a program called Toggle Profiles that keeps the screen on when away from home or work, and plugged in a charger. That is, when in the car to keeps the screen on and turns up the volume. It does a number of other things for me too. At work it turns the volume down. Etc.
I often use CoPilot Live. I like it because it has offline maps, so works everywhere and doesn't download maps constantly, so uses less power. It also has a variety of routing methods, short, fastest, etc. Including letting you set the typical driving speed that you use.
On my motorcycles and in my car, I use RAM mounts. Very rugged.

Reactions: F350-6

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
What GPS are you using? I played around with google maps trying to watch the traffic layer and the screen would dim on me, even when I pushed the button to keep the screen centered around my current location. I did notice that the map feature seems to be a big hog of battery power, so I ran a cable up my A-pillar and it comes out right next to my windshield mount. I downloaded an app called screen on that keeps the screen on when it's plugged in and have been playing around with google navigator.

But I'm open for any advice or suggestions.

I use the Google navigation app that comes pre-installed. Just called navigation in your app drawer. I like it. Requires data though.

Doyer

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Either one of these Arkon mounts should work:

Slim-Grip® Smartphone Car Mounts

sm514.jpg
SM520.jpg

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Not with the extended battery and a thick case. Combine that with a rough road and the phone falls out of this type of case.

Late to this party, but agreed. I bought the Arkon case identical to this, and it worked fine until I added the Seidio case/holster. Then the phone just started falling out. Plus the Arkon glue pad (I got the dash mount version) was useless, and when I tried to use it on the windshield the whole thing started falling down.

I finally gave up and made one out of scrap wood.

phoneholder.jpg

The only chic is redneck chic... LOL.

F350-6

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Looks pretty nice. But if you're going to go to that much trouble, you might as well put some stain on it and dress it up some. :)

F350-6

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Well hitting some railroad tracks a little too fast finally caused the demise of my slipgrip mount. As I stated earlier, I drive some pretty rough roads, and the tracks in question also threw some items out of my dash cubby hole, but the little tab that holds the phone in place became loose enough to allow the phone to pop out.