What kind of Headphones do you use?

anon(149276)

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I use Shure SE 530 earbuds. They are about as good as it gets but they are pretty pricey at $500. Shure also makes cheaper models of those earbuds. Its going to depend on what you mean by "good" and how much you have to spend. I also like Klipsch products. When Paul Klipsch owned the company they put out outstanding products.

If you really want the best I would take a look at those two brands and go with the best that you can afford.

R
I have the Shure se 210s I think. And am pretty happy with them. I've had them for 3 1/2 years or so and have been very happy with their performance and durability. They've lasted through most of highschool and college if that's worth anything.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have the Shure se 210s I think. And am pretty happy with them. I've had them for 3 1/2 years or so and have been very happy with their performance and durability. They've lasted through most of highschool and college if that's worth anything.

are the shure's fitted for one's ear?

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
are the shure's fitted for one's ear?

Yes, they come with a couple of different size buds and they make different types of buds. They do require you to read up a bit to learn how to fit them to your ear and the hardest thing is to learn how to insert them properly. An improper insertion into the ear will leave you wondering why you bought them, but, after you've learned how to insert the buds correctly you'll wonder how anyone really listens to music without them.

You will have to replace the buds ocassionally and you can buy extra buds in the various sizes and they aren't very expensive. When I say "buds" I'm referring to the foam material that fits over the end/speaker. The foam buds cushion the end and block out outside noise, they are GREAT when flying because they block out most of the aircraft noise.

R

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the thread and info. I have been searching for a good pair of headphones for a while and I settled on purchasing the skullcandy set (on sale on Amazon). They are in my budget (college student) and I am looking forward to some nice sounding beats.

e88cc

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have some NuForce NE-700M in-ear monitors. The bass on them strikes me as probably stronger than reference, but they sound absolutely fantastic. The bass is well represented and I can hear things much lower in all of my songs than I've ever heard before. Everything else about them has matched or exceeded my expectations. I wouldn't say I'm an audiophile, but I think these are really good. Easily the best sound quality I've heard.

I also hear that their lower-end in-ear monitors are really good, but I don't have personal experience.

In the sub-$100 category, it is hard to do much better than nu-force buds if you're looking for clean sounding dynamic iem's with a solid bottom end. They have a strong following over on head-fi, and the recently released 700's are a nice upgrade from the original 7m's to my ears. They're not quite as fast or revealing as the Senn IE8's, and their soundstage is a little smaller, but they also cost about 1/3 as much.

Choice of headphones aside, can any of you share any impressions as to the quality of the headphone output on the Thunderbolt? I'm contemplating a move over from an AT&T iphone, but I'm worried the sound quality won't measure up.

HTC seems to be somewhat inconsistent in its ability to implement a decent headphone circuit. The aria and mozart measure pretty well against the competition, whereas the desire HD has bad stereo cross-talk issues. (see: HTC Desire HD review: Most wanted - GSMArena.com )

Also, have any of you experienced hiss with your thunderbolts? I've read a few user comments on other boards complaining about it, and I'm hoping they are the exceptions rather than the rule. Thanks!

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

Choice of headphones aside, can any of you share any impressions as to the quality of the headphone output on the Thunderbolt? I'm contemplating a move over from an AT&T iphone, but I'm worried the sound quality won't measure up.

I have some Monster Turbine in-ear headphones I had got on sale at Amazon a while back that are quite nice, and they work well with the Thunderbolt. In comparison to my Incredible the Thunderbolt's sound has more bass and sounds warmer , although highs aren't quite as bright as I'd like.

Overall I have a definite preference for the Thunderbolt's headphone sound when compared to the Incredible. My iPod Touch gets noticeably louder than either the Thunderbolt or Incredible, and has better highs, and while overall I'd say the same thing when comparing it to the Thunderbolt (the Thunderbolt bass is a bit richer and there's a warmer sound overall), I'd give the edge to the iPod Touch for sound quality. (Although that's not surprising since it's a dedicated MP3 player!)

I've mostly been listening to electronica so far and haven't heard any hiss. Not all of it was beat-heavy, I also like some quiet ambient music, and didn't hear any hiss with those songs either.

So overall I'd say the Thunderbolt's headphone performance is a pleasant surprise. Audiophiles won't be thrilled, but as far as cell phone sound goes I'm quite happy with it.

Oh, and for the OP, for some cheap in-hear headphones that sound way better than their price, I really like the v-moda bass freq's. At $15 on Amazon they're a great deal.

Reactions: e88cc

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
power amp is the ultimate music player. It will also help with audio, as the eq runs deep and it sports playing all file types, including FLAC ;)

shaddix

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Sennheiser ie8s ;D

I also have some fischer audio silver bullets and fa eternal v1

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

AlpineM3#AC

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I was just using the regular Apple headphones that had a microphone, but now people can't hear me through them with the TBolt, which should I get or what setting are you guys using so they can hear you on the other end?

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Sounds good through my Shure SRH-440s :)

Still D.R.E. with the R&B setting on the equalizer sounds sweet. A lot of bass but not too much :)

Jodiuh

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
How is the headphone out? I have a Zune HD, so this would only be used occasionally.

Anyone use anything like the Sennheiser PX200's? They're supraaural (over the ear), lightweight, and foldable. They keep a bit of noise out on my runs. That's pretty much what I'm looking for...

ironhorse

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
I currently use 2 sets of custom item's. Ultimateears ue-5c and ue-11 pro. I will be getting a pair of jhaudio jh-16 pro in the near future.

Sent from my T-bolt.