Seidio ACTIVE X Case (PICS!) UPDATED.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
OK heres the review:

I will tell you guys right off the bat, I love this case. I have owned what seems like 1,000 phones, including the LG Dare, LG Voyager, LG ENV, OG Droid, Droid X and many others. They all had cases, some even Seidio, and this case is the best case I have ever used or seen.

The case is a 2 part hybrid type case. A silicone skin that definitely indents the screen to protect it from a fall, and allows you to put the phone face down on a surface without any fear of said surface contacting the screen in any way. Then on top of that snaps a plastic skeleton that protects the back sides and corners. When snapped together you would not even know its a 2 piece case. Very thin. I have had the Seidio Innocase II on this phone (a little too bulky in my opinion, and comes apart at times) and I also have the 2 piece case from Verizon that is silicone with a hard cover over that, and there is NO comparison.

The kickstand functionality is unaffected, and this feels great in the hand. It is not hard at all to remove from the pocket. The volume rocker and power button are covered with a thin layer of silicone, and while I'm on this topic let me just say that it actually stiffens up the volume rocker. This in my opinion is awesome because I was constantly hitting the volume rocker when trying to power on/off the device. This totally negates that issue. Another nice feature button wise is the power button. The silicone sticks up probably 2x the original height and makes it very easy to find the power button with the feel of a finger. Even though the button sticks up decently higher than the actual button it does not feel squishy when pressing it. You would think thats the actual button under there.

All ports are easily accessible, and well cut out.

The quality of the materials seem top notch to me, and the snap on plastic fits very snugly and I do not see it loosening up even with frequent removals. The rubber coating feels great, and seems that it will hold up just fine.

The only con with this case if I had to come up with one would be the fact that lint may seem to stick a bit to the rubber part. Its easy enough to remove by blowing on it, so its not like it permanently sticks to it and is hard to remove. The only other con, and this has nothing to do with the case, is that I have been using the ext battery lately so going back to the original is a little bit of a let down, and prevents me from ever using it again if I want to use this case. As of right now I do not want to remove this case for anything!

Well that just about sums it up. I'm sure theres something I have missed, so fire away below, and I will do my best to answer any questions. GET THIS CASE!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

how did you get one so soon? they are still listed as "coming soon" on the web site.

l just got my rugged add on to my "II" case today and it is GREAT!

but I Also wanted to get an X case as well, what can I say, girls like shoes and I like Seidio phone cases and clips. their batteries are not worth the money but their cases are the bees knees.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes I know there is investment in making them and all. You figure though that most their cases are the same design, but have to be redesigned to fit a new phone body. I can't see this process being incredibly hard once they have the proper dimensions of the phone.

I just bought a TPU case on ebay for $5 shipped, the same they sell in the Verizon store for $20. So obvious is obvious that making a phone case isn't rocket science and the materials aren't to expensive.

Basically what I want to get across is if they sold these for $20, they would sell more of them. After all most average consumers will look for price over quality sometimes, but even though they make a quality product, their price can't be justified, especially the other case they have for $50 for the Tbolt. I mean $50 for the same $30 case, but with another piece of plastic and a clip? How is that $20 more justified for just adding a clip and plastic backing to hold onto the phone? If they keep their initial price down, they will be sitting on less inventory later and not have to clearance them out later.

seidioonline.com $50 case, is same case mentioned in OP, but includes the holster and clip.

These Seidio cases will pop up on ebay for cheaper anyways. I know companies want to make profit and them being an online company, they should have less overhead and should be able to produce a product with a better price. With all the competition out there, most people will see $5 case vs $30 case and go with the what saves them money. Not everyone is worried about protecting their phone like crazy. I dropped my incredible countless times, its landed on its front and back and all I had on it was a TPU and never got damaged and I paid $7 for that case.

I love you "arm chair" businessmen, trying to set the profit margins and sales goals for companies you don't work for.

I'm sure Seidio sells plenty, even without your free advice. They make a great premium product and sell it at a decent price?.if they didn't, they would either lower the price and/or go out of business.

These NEW cases will sell very well too.

Not every one is buying the Thunderbolt (It's a premium product too.)

So they can only sell a limited number of cases, by dropping the price 30% They would have to sell a LOT more cases to make up the profit LOSS and there may not be enough phones out there to make up the extra sales.... ever think of that?

tgriff777

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I guess I just misswed something. Is the case used with the extended battery or without? Also, I have not found a holster yet and need one for my T-Bolt that I just bought today. Terry

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
My Seidio Rugged add-on for the surface II case just arrived today. I also like the way the button coverings actually make them EASIER to use.

This case combo is obviously thicker and bulkier than the ACTIVE X case, but it REALLY feels good in my hand.

I will be getting the ACTIVE X case too, when the blue one is available.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I guess I just misswed something. Is the case used with the extended battery or without? Also, I have not found a holster yet and need one for my T-Bolt that I just bought today. Terry

Without.

Seidio has hard plastic belt clips for the TB - is that what you are looking for or are you looking for leather?

There are sites that sell holsters for Thunderbolt, EVO and other 4.3" screen Droids.

theGman911

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah black was avail earlier. I really wanted the blue as well Mike. But couldn't wait LOL.

Listen guys.... Here's my take on the price. If you plan on owning the phone for any length of time you are gonna go through 3-4 sh*t cases because of broken clips along the side. That's just because of batt pulls. Not even counting drops. This case is not susceptible to that due to no clips. It will essentially last for the life of the phone and it feels sooooooooo good in the hand. LOL.

The first thing I do.... The very first thing.... When buying a new phone is go to seidio and order up a case without *****ing and crying about it. Its WELL worth the money anyday of the week.

My opinion of course. Take it for what its worth.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah black was avail earlier. I really wanted the blue as well Mike. But couldn't wait LOL.

Listen guys.... Here's my take on the price. If you plan on owning the phone for any length of time you are gonna go through 3-4 sh*t cases because of broken clips along the side. That's just because of batt pulls. Not even counting drops. This case is not susceptible to that due to no clips. It will essentially last for the life of the phone and it feels sooooooooo good in the hand. LOL.

The first thing I do.... The very first thing.... When buying a new phone is go to seidio and order up a case without *****ing and crying about it. Its WELL worth the money anyday of the week.

My opinion of course. Take it for what its worth.

I agree. I really like these new two piece case designs even better than the Surface II ones...and I still like the Surface II's

My cell phone's aren't complete without a Seidio case. ;)

This will be my first phone that has a three outfit wardrobe - how sick is that?

PS? you can always sell the black case to off set the price of the blue one when it becomes available.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, just got my active X case with the belt clip holster. Have a question though. The rubber on mine seems very slippery, is this something that wears off after a couple days. Makes me a little worried that I might drop the phone. I would have thought that "rubber" would be a little more grippy. Thanks!

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
got the active x for my wife's thunderbolt. Overall I'm pretty pleased with it. I was expecting the inner rubber cover to be a little more rigid and tight fitting but its quite loose and "floppy" for lack of a better word. However, combined with the hard outer case it seems like a good fit.

PROS:
+High quality materials with a good fit for ports/camera/etc.
+Buttons are very good. Seems to make somehow make it easier to press the power button but not so much so that I'm worried about accidentally hitting it. It seems like I'm also less likely to hit the volume keys on accident as well (seems to happen a lot in my pocket which is annoying since it does adjust bluetooth volume even with the phone locked).
+Seems pretty easy and quick to take on and off. Since I have the car dock I was not anticipating getting a case for my phone, however, this one seems like it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to take on and off for those occasions when I want to use navigation in my car.

CONS:
-It does make the phone bigger of course. Now that I've had the TB for a couple weeks it feels "normal" and not big anymore so I don't think this case makes it that much worse.
-Edges of the screen/rubber catch lint and dust.
-Wiping the screen is not as easy with the rubber edge on the side.
-A bit on the expensive side. ($30)

Anywho, that's my 2 cents. Hope it helps someone who's trying to decide if this case is for them or not.

wkelley70

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone comment on how the Active-X compares in size to the Case-Mate Pop?

Also, is the "rubber" more durable on the Active-X than the Pop? The rubber on my Pop case is kind of peeling/flaking because I carry it in my front pocket.

Komodod

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Still like the stock Double Layer case from Verizon(search for my pics and review). It has less exposed silicone....so less lint collecting and pocket-grip. It also has a very soft matte finish shell.

theGman911

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Is the hard plastic shell slippery at all?

I wouldn't say its slippery. But I wouldn't say its tacky either. I guess right in the middle. It has a rubber coating on it so if you have felt similar cases they are all about the same feel. Overall with the combination of materials it feels very good in the hand IMO. No drops so that's saying something.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Is the difference between the Active X and the Innocase basically that one has a rubber inner layer and the other doesn't? Which one tends to add more bulk?

theGman911

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Is the difference between the Active X and the Innocase basically that one has a rubber inner layer and the other doesn't? Which one tends to add more bulk?

Basically yes. Also the inno slides on in 2 pieces, top and bottom and meet in the middle. Whereas the active gets slipped over then the hard piece snapped over that. The active adds less bulk in my opinion. I have both. The inno seems to bow the back a little. The active sits on its back flatter.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Basically yes. Also the inno slides on in 2 pieces, top and bottom and meet in the middle. Whereas the active gets slipped over then the hard piece snapped over that. The active adds less bulk in my opinion. I have both. The inno seems to bow the back a little. The active sits on its back flatter.

So is the active smooth or rubbery on the outside? I don't really want a rubber outside, makes getting it out of your pocket harder.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I have had the Active X for about week and feel good case. However their is a flaw in design that troubles me. Where silicone is exposed has to much play and when I grab my phone can feel the exposed silicone being pulled back at times as well has too much play when run finger across screen and happen to hit the edge of silicone(WHICH HAPPENS ALOT) Yes it is silicone but that does not me they could have not made the silicone stiffer.I wonder over time how long it will be before silicone gives way in those areas and becomes very loose. All in all the case is good and looks great I am not fan of commuter series because they seem to leave their corners unprotected on most of their phones. Also I prefer the soft touch feel over textorize.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Where silicone is exposed has to much play and when I grab my phone can feel the exposed silicone being pulled back at times as well has too much play when run finger across screen and happen to hit the edge of silicone(WHICH HAPPENS ALOT)

I'd agree with that complaint. The silicone is very pliable. Luckily the hard case attachment prevents anything from coming off, however, I also wonder what will happen over time to the "loose lips". Still trying to decide which case is right for me.

Has anyone ever seen a case which has a cutout for the extended battery? I'm guessing the added thickness of a case matches up pretty well with the extra thickness provided by the extended battery. I would seriously consider getting the extended battery if there was a case which was simply cutout over the "hump" and matched up nicely with its thickness.